"Splendid Museum Experience" Lillehammer by gubbi1
Lillehammer Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 354 photos
Every holiday has an end and my roadtrip through the southern part of Norway came in the phase of a slow end when arriving in Lillehammer. Here I planned to stay overnight to have some time for the excellent museums that you can find here. If you think it is about walking inside a building, then this is only a part of what I mean. Here in Lillehammer you can find the Maihaugen, which is a huge and fantastic open-air museum for historic buildings in a authentic environment. But before l decided to drive a little out of town in the north, were you can find the official museum of the road authorities of Norway. This museum is free of charge, what is really surprising once you have seen its size. It covers the development of streets in Norway throughout the history, has a huge exhibition of bicycles, a room about security aspects of traffic and an outdoor exhibition of vehicles used by the traffic authorities.
Just on the other side of the road, in walking distance to the traffic museum, there is another museum about the technics of blasting practice. You may wonder what this is about, but while driving around in Norway you will have found the solution to this question... plenty of tunels. I was hoping to see the practise of blastings here, but the museum tunnel was closed as the museum. But there is a large outdoor exhibition of old vehicles used to build streets, which is pretty interesting.
As mentioned before the most fantastic experience for me in Lillehammer, was the excellent open-air museum Maihaugen. You can easily spend a day here if you have the time. My visit was on a sunny day what makes the experience even better. The museum is structured in different zones. In a very nature like area you will find groups of farm houses that make up small hamlets. Many of the houses are open and fully furnished, which makes you feel like transfered into a different time. Another area is a historic street with shops, a post museum and a trainstation. Not far away you will come in a part of the museum, that is quite strange. Here you will find pretty new houses. The quarter looks like it is not the museum anymore and you might hesitate to go to the houses to look into the garden or the windows, you wouldn't do it in your hometown. But once you see the signs telling you something about the house, you remember that it is the museum. These new houses were taken away from an area where an airport was built. Instead of being teared down, they found their new place in the museum. Once you have enough of the houses a great exhibition waits for you in the main building. Walking through connected rooms, you walk through the history of Norway starting in the past. It is really excellent made, a great experience.
A very great part of Maihaugen is the exhibition in the main building. Don't miss out this! The exhibition shows you the... more travel advice
A very strange place for a historical open air museum is the modern quarter of Maihaugen. Here houses are set up which... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Lillehammer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saagar's Lillehammer pages"
- "Lillehammer - Home to the 1994 Winter Olympics"
- "Lillehammer - a 5* Olympic town"
- "It was a nice day then..."
- "Splendid Museum Experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lillehammer
- Hotels in Lillehammer
- Transportation in Lillehammer
- Nightlife in Lillehammer
- Restaurants in Lillehammer
- Shopping in Lillehammer
- Warnings and Dangers in Lillehammer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lillehammer
- 8 Reviews
- 164 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Lillehammer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lillehammer
Photos in LillehammerSee All Photos (164)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (77)
Latest Lillehammer hotel reviews
- Hornsjo Hoyfellshotell
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Birkebeineren Hotel/ Motel & Apartments
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Quality Hotel & Resort Hafjell
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Radisson SAS Lillehammer
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 30, 2013
- Oppland Hotell
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Rica Victoria Lillehammer
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 25, 2013
- TOP Hotel Molla Lillehammer
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2012
- Clarion Collection Hammer
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013