"Navvik - Gateway to Lofoten" Narvik by gubbi1
Narvik Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 271 photos
For me Narvik was the gateway to the island chain of Lofoten. I stopped here after coming all the way from Finnish Oulu to stay overnight and to refresh my mental batteries for the coming days on the Lofoten.
Unfortunately time was short here as Narvik has a lot to offer. Beside a lot of history Narvik is surrounded by a very beautilful mountain scenery allowing hikes into lonely areas.
In the second worldwar Narvik was in the focus of hard battles as it is the northern most icefree harbour and main harbour for the hugh amount of ironore transported from the Swedish iron mines around Kiruna. Especially for the ironore there was a railway track build connecting the harbour to Kiruna. If you come to Narvik via the E10, then you will follow this track for a while.
I stayed in the Youth hostel there and enjoyed these two nights (to and from Lofoten) very much.
This photo was taken from my room in the youth hostel towards the beautiful mountain behind. It was around midnight and therefore my first time to see sunlight at this time of the day (resp. night).
Narvik is beautifully located at the Ocean down at the feet of huge mountains. I think they never loose completely the snowcaps...
- Pros:Charming and beautifully located.
gubbi1's Related Pages
Narvik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Narvik and Surroundings"
- "Between the mountains and the ocean"
- "Journey along the Arctic Highway"
- "MY HOMETOWN NARVIK"
- "68°25' N 17°33' E"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Narvik
- Hotels in Narvik
- Transportation in Narvik
- Nightlife in Narvik
- Restaurants in Narvik
- Warnings and Dangers in Narvik
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Narvik
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Narvik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Narvik
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues