"Borgholm and its architectural highlights" Borgholm by gubbi1
Borgholm Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 107 photos
Despite the fact that I found many more very interesting sites in Öland, Borgholms castle is said to be the most important sight on this island. You reach Borgholm if you follow the main road on Öland northwards after crossing the big bridge from Kalmar. Very close, just a few hundred meters from Borgholm castle you will find another nice place, the royal castle Solliden with its very beautiful and large garden. Both stand in very hard contrast...
The monument on the photo above is Queen Victoria, the great-grandmother of Swedens King Carl Gustaf.
The castle Solliden...
It was built between 1903 and 1906 by Queen Victoria and since then used as a summer residence. Even nowadays it is still used by the royal family. The castle itself can't be visited, but the main attraction is the garden, which is built up in several different parts representing the different types of garden design. There is a rose garden, an English garden and an Italian garden. Compared to the pretty dry landscape of Öland the park is quite a surprise.
---> Webpage of Castle Solliden
The castle Borgholm...
It developed from a fortification tower during the 12th century. With its rising importance during the wars with Denmark, the fortification was continuesly enlarged. During the Renaissance under Johann III. the fortification was turned into a fortified castle. In the 17th century Nicodemus Tessin sen. redesigned the castle under order of King Karl X. Gustav into a baroque castle. With decreasing importance of the area, the castle started to become abandoned and a fire destroyed it completely in 1806. Only the big walls remained.
---> Webpage of castle Borgholm (Swedish only)
- Pros:Very contrast rich architecture
- In a nutshell:Very worth to visit
gubbi1's Related Pages
Borgholm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Our Sister City"
- "Borgholm Castle"
- "Borgholm and its architectural highlights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Borgholm
- Hotels in Borgholm
- Restaurants in Borgholm
- Shopping in Borgholm
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Borgholm
- 0 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Borgholm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Borgholm
Photos in BorgholmSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues