"Gripsholm - Castle and Royal Portrait Collection" Gripsholm by gubbi1
Gripsholm Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 167 photos
In the small town Mariefred at Lake Mälaren you will find the nice castle Gripsholm. It was built under Gustav Vasa and finished in 1545. Nowadays the castle contains the National Portrait Collection of the royal family. This collection is open to public like the whole castle. There are many rooms inside to be visited, special is a very old theater of which you can have a look at the mechanics behind the stage.
The collection of portraits is also very impressive. There are portraits of famous Swedes from the time of Gustav Vasa up to today. I am sure you will know several people in the collection.
After the visit to the castle I recommend to have a walk through the park and then to head to the village itself. It has several beautiful houses and a church. From the water there you have a nice view on the castle.
Don't forget to check out the runestones on the way from the parking to the entrance of the castle.
Also not far from the castle you will find a ruin of a church. I think it is quite interesting.
gubbi1's Related Pages
Gripsholm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Gripsholm Castle"
- "Gripsholm - Castle and Royal Portrait Collection"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gripsholm
- Transportation in Gripsholm
- Restaurants in Gripsholm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gripsholm
- 0 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Gripsholm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gripsholm
Photos in GripsholmSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues