"Welcome to medieval times..." Dinkelsbühl by gubbi1
Dinkelsbühl Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 168 photos
Along the Romantic Road you will come along many beautiful places and towns, several of them are very well known like the beautiful town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber and the fascinating castle Neuschwanstein. A very special one is the medieval town of Dinkelsbühl. With a restrictive handling of advertisment in the streets and with the efforts to keep cars out of the town center, Dinkelsbühl offers an atmosphere like many important people already had enjoyed in history before modern times like emperors and painters.
Unlike Rothenburg ob der Tauber Dinkelsbühl was not destroyed during the first and second world war, therefore the building structure has remained intact and no architectural sins have found their way into the walled town.
It has been during the 12th century when the oldest part of town, the inner old town developed. With a circular wall, Dinkelsbühl tried to protect itself from 1372 on which did not work fine throughout history, but still today the city wall has this characteristic form. Trade had been an important aspect in town. The concept for trading in Dinkelsbühl was that different parts of streets were dedicated for different goods. In case that you visit the city museum, which I highly recommend at the beginning of your visit, you can see which goods were traded where. But some names of streets also indicate if it was a trading place for something.
Walking through the streets of Dinkelsbühl you will see many traditional inns, which also rented (and still rent) out rooms. I recommend to stay
overnight in town as in the night the atmosphere is even more impressive as during the day. You can try to get a room in one of the inns, for the
one I stayed in I can say that they are really modern with a historic touch.
Remarkable is also that in Dinkelsbuehl the famous citizen Christoph von Schmid was born, who was an author writing for children. You probably won't know him from his books, rather from a song which is one of the famous German christmas songs :"Ihr Kinderlein kommet" (Oh, come, little children). A monument at the minster commemorating him shows him reading a book to two children.
Being in Dinkelsbühl during the evenings and at night offers perfect possibilities for those who like to take photos. There are many places where you can take beautiful nightshots.
- Pros:Beautiful and romantic
Coming to Dinkelsbuehl you will notice parking areas at the main entrances into the old town. In the case that you want... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Dinkelsbühl Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dinkelsbuehl - a smaller and quieter Rothenburg"
- "On and Off the Road In Dinkelsbuhl"
- "Medieval Walled town with Class"
- "A Feast for Your Eyes"
- "Welcome to medieval times..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dinkelsbühl
- Hotels in Dinkelsbühl
- Transportation in Dinkelsbühl
- Restaurants in Dinkelsbühl
- Shopping in Dinkelsbühl
- Warnings and Dangers in Dinkelsbühl
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dinkelsbühl
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Dinkelsbühl?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dinkelsbühl
Photos in DinkelsbühlSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (76)
Latest Dinkelsbühl hotel reviews
- Hotel Haus Appelberg
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013