"Nice calm and friendly Arad - my base for week 1" Arad by gubbi1
Arad Travel Guide: 212 reviews and 567 photos
Israel has been on my wishlist for a long time. With the bad news popping up on the news over the years it became a wish parked somewhere in my brain. Luckily my signing up on VT caused me crossing the path of Martin, VT-member from Arad, who I first personally met on my first Euromeet in Cascais. Talking for some time he proposed I should come over to his homecountry and have a look myself that daily life there is not what is shown on TV. Many questions later I agreed. In 2010, a year later, I finally booked the flight and in November it was time to travel. My base for the first week was Arad to visit Martin. From the airport I took my rental car and drove the two hours to Arad. In the evening I arrived and a splendid holiday just had started.
Arad is a very good base for the southern central of Israel. There are many natural and cultural gems reachable by shorter drives, which are due to less traffic in the desert areas pretty stressless. Well, Northern Israel and especially Tel Aviv and Haifa are compensation this :)
In the region several of the World Heritage Sites of Israel can be found, but there is more to see. I bought a two weeks tourist card for the National Parks of Israel which covers many places reachable from Arad.
Some few examples for places good to be visited from Arad are
- the Nabatean Desert Cities of Mamshit, Shivta and Avdat
- the important and beautiful site of Masada
- the wellknown Dead Sea
- the fascinating Bet Guvrin-Maresha NP
- great desert hiking in Ein Gedi NP
- visiting Ben-Gurions grave
- Makhtesh Ramon, the large crater
- colored sands in the small crater
- the desert in general with many hiking routes
and so on and so on, this is only an extract...
Well, there is so much to do here. But of course I should not forget the places close by. Arad itself has an interesting National Park aswell. It is the ancient Arad, the Tel Arad located westwards about 10 km outside of the modern Arad. In its days the ancient Arad was one of the largest cities in the region. Visit the park and walk through the ruins. If you plan to stay in town during the day you can visit the Arad museum in the Visitor Center in downtown where they explain about the desert and show findings of the ancient Arad. It is on my list for the next visit to Arad.
Tel Arad has a separat page on VT, get to mine here....
For nightlife you will find a very nice pub in town (Muza), on its walls everything is covered with shirts and scarfs of soccer teams from around the world. Very nice to spend the evenings there and eat some of the delicious food. On daytimes you probably will spend your time to visit one of the places that I have mentioned above or you might take a rest on the viewing point at the north eastern city limit. It is also a great spot to enjoy the sunset and to watch over towards Jordan rising high up behind the Jordan river which is also the border.
You see, Arad is a great place to stay...
Thanks, Zohara and Martin!
- Pros:Good located, nice town to live
gubbi1's Related Pages
Arad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Our home, ARAD"
- "Arad: jewel of the Negev"
- "Ultimate place for VT meetings"
- "visiting the samson family."
- "A - R - A - D"
- "Nice calm and friendly Arad - my base for week 1"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arad
- Hotels in Arad
- Transportation in Arad
- Nightlife in Arad
- Restaurants in Arad
- Shopping in Arad
- Warnings and Dangers in Arad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arad
- 1 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Arad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arad
Photos in AradSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues