"Beautiful, busy Nazareth" Nazareth by gubbi1
Nazareth Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 663 photos
My base for the northern Israel I set up in a hotel just a few kilometers south of Nazareth directly at the main road to Afula. So it was quite easy to get here, but the guide book rather mentioned the town neutral and so I postponed my visit. Glad I came here as I enjoyed my day in this pretty busy town, which feels very authentic despite the tourist spots.
The first place most people will go to when arriving in Nazareth is the large and dominating Church of the Annunciation. The name refers to the event that Mary was told that she would give birth to Jesus, but the real place is somewhere else, wait a little. The church is quite new and impressively large. You will notice many pilgrims to come here from all over the world. All around and inside the church many nations have donated a mosaic with Mary on it. Many are very beautiful and colorful and it makes lots of fun to walk around to see how the different countries think how Mary looked like. So you will see her for example in a Kimono on the Japanese mosaic. These mosaics are set up all around the outer yard, but continue inside. Will you find your country?
Below the church are excavations of the old Nazareth. As Mary and Jesus lived here, these ancient walls are a special interest. You can look down over a fence on the walls, but I noticed that there is also an exhibition. So I asked at the infoboard of the church and for a vew Schekel I could enter the exhibition and get much closer to the excavation. In the exhibition you will find decorations and ornaments found in old Nazareth, but the most impressive and the highlight here is a scratch in a piece of wall showing the name 'Maria'. If this was THE Maria is not known, but maybe. Who knows.
From the Church of the Annunciation you can head to the closeby St. Josephs Church, which is smaller but not less interesting. There are stairs leading you down into a crypt with a grotto. It is impressive as it probably was also part of the old Nazareth.
After visiting the churches you probably will head to the nearby market which stretches over many streets in the center of Nazareth. It has remained authentic and spreads the feeling of orient. In case you like the one in Akko, this one will impress you too!
Another important thing you will have to do when coming to Nazareth is a visit to the orthodox church of the Announciation. This is said to be the real place of the announciation, not Mary's well! Inside the church the walls ahre heavily decorated. A set of stairs leads down to a small source of water coming out of the rocks. Here it is said to be the place were Mary received the news from the angle Gabriel about the coming birth of Jesus. Outside of the church, still in its yard, you will see a mosaic. Some older men sitting outside told me that I should have a look at it as it was set up there just the day before my visit. It was a donation from Romania and they were proud of it.
This is the greek orthodox church in which you will find the well at which the announciation of Jesus' birth took place.
This is the market, very nice place. Maybe you find something for you.
- Pros:Very nice and lively place
Have a look at the White Mosque in Nazareth. You can look inside the prayers room. The White Mosque is the oldest of... more travel advice
This is a building in downtown Nazareth at the entrance of a guarded parking. It was built in 1904 to serve the needs of... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Nazareth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "hometown of Jesus"
- "Nazareth - the childhood home of Jesus"
- "The Holy Land"
- "Holy Churches and Colorful Markets"
- "Beautiful, busy Nazareth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nazareth
- Hotels in Nazareth
- Transportation in Nazareth
- Nightlife in Nazareth
- Restaurants in Nazareth
- Shopping in Nazareth
- Warnings and Dangers in Nazareth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nazareth
- 16 Reviews
- 124 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Nazareth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nazareth
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Greetings from Algarve."
- Commented on one of gubbi1's Nazareth travel pages
- updated a Nazareth Travelogue "St. Gabriel Church and Mary's Well --- Artwork"
- Uploaded a Photo to "St. Gabriel Church and Mary's Well --- The well"
- Wrote a Review The White Mosque in Nazareth Things to Do
Photos in NazarethSee All Photos (124)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues