"Tel Hazor - One of the three biblical Tels" Tel Hazor by gubbi1
Tel Hazor Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 19 photos
Tel Hazor is one of the three biblical Tels (Hazor, Megiddo, Beer Sheba)which are declared as world heritage by the Unesco.
The town Hazor was first mentioned in the eighteenth centry BC in egyptian documents. At the end of the Middle Bronze Age the population was at about 15000 people. Tel Hazor had connections to towns in the middle Euphrat region. It is documented that commercial caravans passed here and Hazor was a cultural center.
In Canaanite periode the town was fortified with walls, palaces and temples have been found here. It had extensive contacts to Syria, Egypt, Babylon, Crete, Cyprus and Greece what gave it the name 'head of all those kingdoms' (Joshua 11:10).
Then Hazor was destroyed and after about 150 years in the eleventh century BC resettled. Live was rather primitive, the people lived in tempory structures. For several hundred years Hazor started to prosper again but then again destroyed during a war.
Main attraction in Tel Hazor in my opinion is the great water system, which was dig deep into the ground (46 meters!). The spring was located outside of the city wall and to have access during a siege, the inhabitants dug this tunnel. You follow stairs down into the water cistern, which is quite fascinating. It demonstrates how important the supply of water had been (and in fact still is today).
- Pros:See the cistern!
Written Jan 6, 2011
Ruins in Tel Hazor NP
Written Jan 6, 2011
The impressive cistern
gubbi1's Related Pages
Tel Hazor Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tel Hazor
- 0 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Tel Hazor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tel Hazor
Photos in Tel HazorSee All Photos (19)
Videos in Tel HazorSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues