"Megiddo - Silent and peaceful" Tel Megiddo by gubbi1
Tel Megiddo Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 66 photos
Megiddo is one of the three biblical Tells put on the list of the world heritages by the Unesco (Tel Hazor, Megiddo and Beer Sheva). Most of you probably have heard the name of this place by its Christian name, Armageddon, where it is said that the final battle at the end of the days will take place. Well, in the past here lots of battles have been fought due to the very good strategic position. Its location at the trade route 'Via Maris' that linked Egypt with Mesopotamia and its position above the Jezreel Valley and Iron Valley was appealing to many rulers. But I can assure you that it was quiet and peaceful during my visit! Megiddo nowadays is an interesting National Park offering ruins of living quarters, temples, staples and a very impressive water system that you should not miss.
Here a list of things and places that I think are worth to be mentioned...
... The Canaanite City Gate:
If you park your car at the main entrance and enter from there, then you will come into town through the Canaanite City Gate. It was a ceremonial gate, not for defence, still the walls are pretty thick and impressive. At the end of the late Canaanite periode the palace behind the gate burned down and the gate was out of use.
.. The stables:
In Megiddo the staples are quite good visible giving the idea that many horses were held here. Two staples were found, Megiddo probably was an important cavalry base. Don't miss the southern staples.
... Public Granary:
A deep structure making up a silo is the impressive granary. It is 7 meters deep and 11 meters in diameter.
... Water system:
The water system is probably the highlight of you visit. A huge staircase leads down into a deep hole. Inside you will follow a tunnel over 70 meters to reach the water depot. It is amazing what people have done so many years ago. But it was necessary to access water even if it was not possible to leave the protected town in case of a siege. Water was and is essential here in the region.
From one side of the National Park you will have a great view over the huge and flat valley below. I have enjoyed this.
... Meeting Point of Pope Paul VI with the President of Israel
The National Park of Megiddo was chosen as a historic meeting point. Here Pope Paul VI met with the President of the State of Israel in 1964. This was the very first visit ever of a Pope to the Holy Land. Today a small pole set up at a lookout commemorates this visit with the writing 'May Peace Prevail On Earth' in four languages, resp. writings.
- Pros:Interesting place. Check out the water system!
The National Park of Megiddo was chosen as a historic meeting point. Here Pope Paul VI met with the President of the... more travel advice
The water system is probably the highlight of your visit. A huge staircase leads down into a deep hole. Inside you will... more travel advice
gubbi1's Related Pages
Tel Megiddo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tel Megiddo - Armageddon"
- "Megiddo - Silent and peaceful"
- "Megiddo, where the world will end"
- "Tel Megiddo - Armageddon"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tel Megiddo
- 6 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Tel Megiddo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tel Megiddo
- Posted in Travel Israel Forum "Re: More Israel suggestions please"
- updated a Tel Megiddo Travel Page "Megiddo - Silent and peaceful"
- Wrote a Review Historic Meeting Point in Tel Megiddo Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Historic Meeting Point"
- Commented on one of Martin_S.'s Tel Megiddo travel pages
Photos in Tel MegiddoSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 231 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oulu Intro, 55 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lillehammer Intro, 8 reviews, 164 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazareth Intro, 16 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akko Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Évora Intro, 13 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Røros Intro, 10 reviews, 107 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bet Guvrin Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos
- Bet She`arim Intro, 11 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar Intro, 12 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues