"Ansbach --- A detour from the Romantic Road" Ansbach by gubbi1

Ansbach Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 26 photos

Driving back home along the Romantic Road I decided to make a detour to the town of Ansbach. I have never been here and as it often happend that people mixed up the name of the town where I grew up with this city, I was curious about it. Also I knew that much of the live of Caspar Hauser took place here in Ansbach. He still is a mystery in the German history. Have a look at the extensive page on wikipedia about Kaspar Hauser. In Ansbach Kaspar Hauser was stabbed with a knive in the castles park close to the Orangerie. He died from the injuries. At the place where it happend you will find a monument commemorating Kaspar Hauser.
At the tourist office in downtown you can get a flyer for an audio guide. The flyer helps you to find the interesting spots using the map inside with numbers on the sights. You can call certain numbers over your mobile phone to hear information about the sights. I didn't do this, but used the map to define my round walk.

In Ansbach I found two nice churches, St. Gumbertus Church with the largest baroque organ of Franconia, and St. Ludwig Church, which is fitting very well into its surrounding buildings.

When walking around keep your eyes open for several beautiful fountains which were still protected for winter during my day in Ansbach. But the beautiful artwork was visible. Check my tip about it.

Close by the Orangerie (a few meters on the right from the point where I stood taking the photo) at the place where Kaspar Hauser got attacked you will find the monument commemorating this event. It is one of several places in Ansbach refering to Kaspar Hauser.

• Pros:Interesting town, good for a short stop.
  • Last visit to Ansbach: Feb 2011
  • Intro Updated Feb 21, 2011

gubbi1

“The way is the destination!”

Badges & Stats in Ansbach

Have you been to Ansbach?