"Home Sweet Home" Ybor City by sarahjayn

Ybor City Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 70 photos

Ybor City

I've been kind of hanging out here my whole life. I sort of grew up here because there was (in my mind) nothing to do in the rest of Tampa.
Various parts of my family lived here, too, after immigrating to America, so there's some history there.
This city-within-a-city (it's part of Tampa) has been through some changes through the years, but I feel like its really becoming a community again. At least I hope it is.
I used to live here, but my apartments went condo. How sad is that? Answer: very sad.

• Intro Updated Jan 16, 2006

• TheAvonMan's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2010 at 5:49 AM

I agree. The staff is sometimes overworked with too many tables to care for, but it's my favorite place in all of Tampa. Chicken Croquettes are awsome and hey...that 1905 Salad is amazing.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Thanks for the great tips from a local's perspective. I also laughed about the excessive pirate theme at Gaspar's last time I visited Tampa.

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2008 at 6:51 PM

I visited Ybor City for a drink last time I visited my brother in Tampa. Thanks for the tips - I'll have to go back and see more :)

• funnybeee's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2006 at 5:18 PM

Now I am really getting excited: La France and Green Dragon Books. Are you kidding me? I read Tarot cards! Thanks for the hook up sarahjayn, right up my alley. Regards, FunnyBeee

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2005 at 6:01 AM

I had never heard of Ybor City till I came across your page - now I know all about it!!

• davequ's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2005 at 11:42 PM

La Columbia looks really tasty. Thanks for stopping by and for sharing.

• Docu2001's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2005 at 1:59 AM

Your love your home town and it shows ... I had a terrific visit to Ybor last year ... great people.

• Barbie2138's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2005 at 8:00 PM

When I visited Columbia restaurant with a large group, the staff could not have been kinder. We got a tour including the wine cellar and those upstairs rooms. I loved the flamenco dancers!!!!

• BuickMackane's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2005 at 9:46 AM

Wow, those restaurants sound yummy. I hope I can check 'em out next time I'm in the Tampa area!

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2005 at 8:17 AM

"...either old school skinny or new school chunky...Gwar...ska...GLBT" :-O I'm really out of it...I need a translator or just a youth transplant. Sounds like a real party town. BTW I have to agree, "a sad day for La Tropicana . . ." indeed. Thx...Tom

sarahjayn

“Talk to strangers!”

Badges & Stats in Ybor City

Have you been to Ybor City?

Latest Activity in Ybor City