"Welcome to Berkeley!" Top 5 Page for this destination Berkeley by jimkinleung
Berkeley Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 395 photos
Berkeley is a small city in Northern California - about ten miles across the bay from San Francisco.
It has a history of social activism and the wide diversity of the city (everything, from its cultural makeup to architectural styles) is what makes it truly unique.
The heart of the city is the University of California at Berkeley, with world-reknown programs in many subjects. There are also many artistic and sporting events held around the year. If you're a future visitor, a stroll around the campus is a must!
Berkeley is considered one of the most liberal cities in the United States. In the 1960’s a major civil rights movement, the Free Speech Movement, saw a huge student protest to the university’s ban on the distribution of political literature. There was also massive fighting between Berkeley residents and the police over an area of the city called People’s Park. Eventually the national guard was called in (by then-governor Ronald Reagan), and the campus was a war zone bombarded with tear gas.
For more details on the historical struggles in the city, a good source is the movie “Berkeley in the 60’s”.
Ironically, the greatest views of San Francisco and the Bay are probably from Berkeley! Up in the Berkeley hills and from the marina, there are great picnic spots. Click on the photo for a panoramic photo I stitched together from multiple shots.
- Pros:Diversity of Culture and Architecture
- Cons:Occasional Annoying Panhandler
- In a nutshell:Everyone fits in here!
Great organic produce from local farms. There are also music performances and great people-watching. more travel advice
jimkinleung's Related Pages
Berkeley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Berkeley - Icon of the 60s"
- "Welcome to Berkeley!"
- "Lived here while studying at the UC"
- "They don't call it Berzerkeley for nothing!"
- "Intro To Berkeley via People's Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berkeley
- Hotels in Berkeley
- Transportation in Berkeley
- Nightlife in Berkeley
- Restaurants in Berkeley
- Shopping in Berkeley
- Warnings and Dangers in Berkeley
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berkeley
- 29 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Berkeley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berkeley
Photos in BerkeleySee All Photos (38)
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berkeley Intro, 29 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kailua Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Healdsburg Intro, 3 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 2 photos