New York City Packing List Tips by shutterlust Top 5 Page for this destination
New York City What to Pack: 162 reviews and 106 photos
Luggage and bags: New York is not like Europe in that we're not old enough to have many cobblestoned streets, so feel free to pack your rolling suitcases. However, if you plan on taking the subway, keep in mind there are stairs to deal with.
Women: bring purses that zip. I've never known anyone who's been actually "pickpocketed" but to be on the safe side, don't take a large -open- tote, especially if you think you might look too much like a tourist.
And those huge camping backpacks look silly! Who actually camps in New York! (Edit: Ok, so I'm just realizing that backpacks are fairly common in Europe. Bring them if you must. But just as Europeans don't wear shorts, New Yorkers don't wear fanny/bum packs. Fannypacks are definite tourist gear.)
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Whoever said that all New Yorkers wear all black was TOTALLY lying! I hardly ever wear ANY black! It's such a depressing color. Wear whatever YOU PLEASE! Actually, the weirder you dress, the more you might actually fit in! (Note: As ATLC and others have pointed out, I do own black clothes and I do wear them on occasion. Bring black clothing, but don't feel as though you need to wear black to fit in!)
Bring sensible flats...or at least kitten heels or wedged heels. Women: buy foot pads if you do wear heels. Well, buy foot pads no matter what. You could use the cushioning on the hard sidewalks!
Don't wear all white sneakers. It bothers me so much when tourists wear those. I still can't believe people actually wear those white sneakers, shorts, t-shirts, visors, and those "fanny packs". You'll look ridiculous. But don't be afraid to bring sneakers in general.
For more information on What-To-Wear, visit my 2 What-To-Wear Tips listed under General Tips.
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: If you're from a foreign country, obviously bring your own prescriptions because you might not know what the American version is called. Otherwise, you can pretty much find everything else. Try Duane Reade, especially for standard toiletries and medical supplies. They're everywhere.
Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Camping??...where would people actually camp?! Central Park? (Actually, that might be interesting...)
Miscellaneous: Bring foot paddings, a fold-up tote bag for any souvenirs, a water bottle to fill up (bottled water can be expensive in certain neighborhoods), a book to read on long museum admissions lines, and try to find a SMALL map of Manhattan. (attempt to be discreet).
More Reviews (107)
- See All New York Natives on Facebook
- See All NYMAG ASSIGN: The Jefferson
- See All NYMAG ASSIGN: Peculier Pub
- See All NYMAG ASSIGN: The Shop Around the Corner
- See All Dylan's Candy Bar
- See All International Center of Photography
- See All St. Joseph's Church
- See All Stay to the Right
- See All New York Marriot East Side
- See All Taxi Drivers going the Long Way 'Round
- See All Airport Alternative Transport
Been to New York City?Share your travels with the world!
shutterlust's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 108 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 113 Forum posts
- 75 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: SD Cards are not coffee..."
- Commented on one of davesut's New York City travel pages
- updated a New York City Travelogue "You Know You Were Born & Raised in Manhattan If..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "You Know You Were Born & Raised in Manhattan If..."
- Wrote a Review New York Natives on Facebook in New York City Favorites
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 108 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 32 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Paris Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (57)
- Times Square- 272 Reviews, 432 Photos
- Empire State Building- 374 Reviews, 610 Photos
- Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island- 405 Reviews, 646 Photos
- Central Park- 406 Reviews, 745 Photos
- Brooklyn Bridge- 190 Reviews, 335 Photos
- Chinatown- 105 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Rockefeller Center - Plaza- 208 Reviews, 359 Photos
- Staten Island and Staten Island Ferry- 89 Reviews, 155 Photos
- United Nations- 88 Reviews, 138 Photos
- Battery Park- 99 Reviews, 166 Photos
See All New York City Things to Do