"City of Dreaming Spires" Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford by shutterlust

Oxford Travel Guide: 965 reviews and 2,037 photos

It's caught my emotional heart strings...

I am in love with this city. I spent two weeks at St. Anne's College, University of Oxford, researching/studying global media policy with the Programme in Comparative Media Law and Policy and I fell in love with this city. The people, the buildings, the pubs, the bars, the library, the bookstores, the cafes, the parks, the punts...

Past

The two weeks I spent researching at Oxford were two of the best weeks of my life. I met people from around the globe, all interested in global media policy, changes in technology and its application to regulation and legislation. Besides sitting in conference session from 9-6, Monday-Friday for two weeks, we also spent a great deal of times perusing the pubs, drinking constantly, whether it was a wine and cheese party in the park, or strawberries and champagne in a punt, or beer tasting in a pub, we were forever giddy. :-) Playing football in University Park, walking through Port Meadow to the Trout Inn, picnicking in cemeteries and church yards, 2am visits to the kebab vans, so many amazing memories with some really amazing people.

• Pros:architecture, chock full of history, sub-fusc, parks, punting, brewing with intelligence
  • Cons:bikes, cobblestones, shopping
  • In a nutshell:I am in love with this city. That is all.
  • Last visit to Oxford: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2009

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Great Oxford tips. Happy Birthday!

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Believe or not, I haven't been to this city yet (and I've visited the UK many times before........)

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Have to argue the toss about the kebabs - If a kebab sounds like a good idea then any dicky stomach must have been the beer. Almost poetic?

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Every day you learn something. Today I learned about Marie Stopes, HGV's and queues in English pubs. Cheers.

• Sep 25, 2008 at 1:07 AM

Hi I getting off in St clements and i want to know if there i can found a taxi station??? My homestay is in Tree Line 0x4 and the st clements stop is the nearest.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2008 at 1:21 PM

have been to Oxford twice. Thanks for telling about new places to vidit.- Nice photos and informative tips.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Glad to hear that Oxford is such a great cycling city! I see you have signed up for EuroMeet 2008 in Karlsruhe, so I look forward to meeting you there.

• May 9, 2008 at 3:29 AM

These Trout reviews are way out of date. The place was changed in 2007 into a gastropub. The chain now running it have "modernised" the inside in keeping with their standard look. Look at the "Daily Information" Oxford site for up to date comments.

• Jul 23, 2007 at 2:04 AM

Readers should be warned - the Trout was taken over and re-vamped in March 2007 by a new chain. It has been "modernised." The creepers stripped off the building, and fittings stripped internally also. The food is much dearer but there is quicker service.

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Very good tips for college students and tourists alike. Interesting info and your photos were very good...cheers

shutterlust Lives Here!

shutterlust

“I don't say we all ought to misbehave...but we ought to look as if we could!”

Badges & Stats in Oxford