"Sami" Sami by kevin36
Sami Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 81 photos
SAMI which lies 25 kilometers away from Argostoli, and has ferry services to the Peloponnese (mainland Greece) and Ithaka. It is Sami where much of “Captain Correlli’s Mandolin” was filmed and this is evident in the local Tavernas where you will find photographs of the stars of the film.
You will find some colorful fishing boats here too.
The best beach around Sami is Antisamos beach. We made a walk from Sami to the beach. At the highest point of the road to the beach, there is a small footpath that leads to the Dichalia lighthouse.
This lighthouse (actually it is just a navigation light) is the best place on Kefalonia if you want to see dolphins. Especially in winter and spring, the dolphins are supposed to swim into Sami Bay.
Although we stayed in Agia Efimia, we visited Sami on a regular basis.
The region of Sami, still untouched by the invasion of mass- tourism, is a perfect place to have a wonderful holiday, either at one of the charming beaches, or enjoying the beautiful nature, the famous caves or the traditional villages.
Drogarati's Cave, which is close to Sami, was discovered 300 years ago, when a part of it was destroyed because of a strong earthquake, and so the entrance was created. The cave's depth is 60 meters from the ground level, the temperature is 18 C and the humidity is 90%. Initially, the cave was developed and used by the community of Haliotata, under the supervision of the speleologist Mrs. Petrocheilos,and since 1963 it is open for the public.
More colorful fishing boats, a beautiful sight to see.
Sami itself is an attractive little town with a wide main street. We parked on the right-hand side in the shade of one of the supermarket buildings, opposite the post office.
Messilina Lake is only a couple of kilometers from Sami,The half-salt, half-fresh water lake is extremely clean, blue and deep (up to 30 metres), so it is pretty impressive,there is a large cavern eroded out of one face, with a tiny opening that the boat can squeeze through, taking you to an extension of the pool but in inky blackness. The cavern is partially lit for tourism but this 'underworld' section is still a little eerie, but definitely worth a visit.
- Pros:Very Scenic
- Cons:None to mention
- In a nutshell:More than just a movie set.
If you like riding under the Greek sun and enjoy nature at the same time, you should visit their horse riding... more travel advice
If you have not hired a car Taxis are very reasonable to hire,but make sure you agree the price before hand, we used... more travel advice
kevin36's Related Pages
Sami Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Sami
- Hotels in Sami
- Transportation in Sami
- Restaurants in Sami
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sami
- 9 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Sami?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sami
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lagos Intro, 36 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk (County) Intro, 34 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suffolk Intro, 34 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Cefalonia Intro, 27 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 20 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altenahr Intro, 16 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heraklion Intro, 16 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fethiye Intro, 15 reviews, 66 photos
Latest Sami hotel reviews
- Sami Beach Hotel
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013