"Mevagissey" Top 5 Page for this destination Mevagissey by kevin36
Mevagissey Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 111 photos
I think it speaks for itself there is an inner Harbour and an outer Harbour
and is still a working fishing village,
I must admit it is a bit on the commercial side,but then where isn't these days in Cornwall, because it is popular its something you have to accept.
Prior to the original Mevagissey Harbour Act of 1774, a thriving fishing industry had been built up around the village of Mevagissey. At this time a medieval quay existed in the region of the present East Quay. However this did not offer much protection against the onslaught of easterly gales. With this in mind a group of businessmen, land owners and local clergy brought together the necessary requirements to set in motion the Act of Parliament to enable the construction of East and West Quays.
Thus, Mevagissey Harbour was set up as a Trust Harbour. Over the years subsequent Harbour Acts were passed in 1865,1888, and 1892. The construction of the harbour to its present state was taken in various stages, which culminated in the construction of the outer harbour walls in 1888. These were virtually destroyed in the great blizzard of 1891, and were rebuilt and completed by 1897.
The outer harbour ,we spent many an evening walking along the outer harbour enjoying the sights,and if its rough it can be fun dodging the waves at high tide,but be careful it can get slippery.
There are benches along the south side of the harbour to just sit and watch the world go by,but don't be tempted to feed the Seagulls or you might end up with an unpleasant mess on your head,if don't believe me take a look at the cars parked near by.
This is only a small part of Cornwall,and I could go for hours telling you the different places we have visited,so my advice is Hire a Camper Van and Explore the different places.
We hired a Camper on a couple of occasions and just toured around the area, there are some great campsites to be found, See the Wookeyhole Caves,Cheddar Gorge,
Goonhilly,Tintagel the home of King Arthur, The Tin Mines etc Just a few to wet your appetite.
Just remember my views are based on where we stayed (Treloen Apartments)which makes all the difference.
- Pros:"A nice little Fishing Village with a rugged coastline."
- Cons:"Can get busy with tourists/but thats what we are."
- In a nutshell:"Everytime I hear a seagull sing I think of here."
They occasionally have live music down at the harbour,when we were there it was the Devon and Cornwall Police band, and... more travel advice
From Land's End to John O'Groats - see and hear the extraordinary and amazing stories of the 'End to Enders' who have... more travel advice
- See All Hat and Sunglasses
- Rugged Coastline
- Car or Camper Van
- See All Heligan Gardens
- Good Choice
kevin36's Related Pages
Mevagissey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mevagissey, Cornwall"
- "Classic Cornish Coastal Village"
- "A Quaint Fishing village"
- "Mevagissey Harbour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mevagissey
- Hotels in Mevagissey
- Transportation in Mevagissey
- Nightlife in Mevagissey
- Restaurants in Mevagissey
- Shopping in Mevagissey
- Warnings and Dangers in Mevagissey
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mevagissey
- 20 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Mevagissey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mevagissey
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lagos Intro, 36 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk (County) Intro, 34 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suffolk Intro, 34 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Cefalonia Intro, 27 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 20 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altenahr Intro, 16 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heraklion Intro, 16 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fethiye Intro, 15 reviews, 66 photos
Latest Mevagissey hotel reviews
- Wild Air Guest House
- 238 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013