"Mevagissey" Top 5 Page for this destination Mevagissey by kevin36

Mevagissey Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 115 photos

The Harbour,
I think it speaks for itself there is an inner Harbour and an outer Harbour
and is still a working fishing village,
I must admit it is a bit on the commercial side,but then where isn't these days in Cornwall, because it is popular its something you have to accept.
Prior to the original Mevagissey Harbour Act of 1774, a thriving fishing industry had been built up around the village of Mevagissey. At this time a medieval quay existed in the region of the present East Quay. However this did not offer much protection against the onslaught of easterly gales. With this in mind a group of businessmen, land owners and local clergy brought together the necessary requirements to set in motion the Act of Parliament to enable the construction of East and West Quays.
Thus, Mevagissey Harbour was set up as a Trust Harbour. Over the years subsequent Harbour Acts were passed in 1865,1888, and 1892. The construction of the harbour to its present state was taken in various stages, which culminated in the construction of the outer harbour walls in 1888. These were virtually destroyed in the great blizzard of 1891, and were rebuilt and completed by 1897.

Mevagissey

The outer harbour ,we spent many an evening walking along the outer harbour enjoying the sights,and if its rough it can be fun dodging the waves at high tide,but be careful it can get slippery.
There are benches along the south side of the harbour to just sit and watch the world go by,but don't be tempted to feed the Seagulls or you might end up with an unpleasant mess on your head,if don't believe me take a look at the cars parked near by.

Mevagissey

This is only a small part of Cornwall,and I could go for hours telling you the different places we have visited,so my advice is Hire a Camper Van and Explore the different places.
We hired a Camper on a couple of occasions and just toured around the area, there are some great campsites to be found, See the Wookeyhole Caves,Cheddar Gorge,
Goonhilly,Tintagel the home of King Arthur, The Tin Mines etc Just a few to wet your appetite.
Just remember my views are based on where we stayed (Treloen Apartments)which makes all the difference.

• Pros:"A nice little Fishing Village with a rugged coastline."
  • Cons:"Can get busy with tourists/but thats what we are."
  • In a nutshell:"Everytime I hear a seagull sing I think of here."
  • Last visit to Mevagissey: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 6, 2007

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Finally someone who LIKES the Cornish seagulls too :)

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2009 at 6:00 AM

Nice tips. We spent a few days in this special spot in the summer. A place to relax, with freindly people.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2007 at 3:16 AM

Great page, somewhere I haven't visited since childhood. Sure it will have many more tourists now. Not sure how accessible many of the villages would be in a 24 feet motorhome (ours), careful planning, I think!!

kevin36

“"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."”

Badges & Stats in Mevagissey

Have you been to Mevagissey?

Latest Activity in Mevagissey