"Aldeburgh & Thorpeness" Top 5 Page for this destination Suffolk by kevin36
Suffolk Travel Guide: 433 reviews and 1,248 photos
I live on the East Coast so I am lucky to have access to different parts of Suffolk i.e. Aldeburgh,Thorpeness,Woodbridge
Gt Yarmouth.Oulton broad etc.
Just Minutes from the sea, excellent amenities of Thorpeness itself. In the center of the village is the Meare, a wildlife rich lake, with rowing boats and punts for hire. Thorpeness also has a Country club with tennis courts, superb 18 hole heathland golf course, the Dolphin pub and village shop. Lovely heathland and seaside walks, with the opportunity for birdwatching at Westwood Marshes (RSPB) all a short walk away.
The pretty Victorian resort of Aldeburgh is just a walk along the beach away; a favorite sea side escape for artists, musicians and families yearning for those special holiday breaks of yesteryear. The inspiration for much of Benjamin Britten's music and center for his creation - The Aldeburgh Festival - the little town still plays host to concerts, film, theater and poetry festivals. Fine restaurants, cafes and shops selling good local produce abound; and you can buy fresh fish from the fishermen on the beach. If you are thinking of doing some sailing, there are sailing and yacht clubs at nearby Slaughden and you can even arrange sailing classes for the children. RSPB Minsmere, Dunwich and Southwold are all within a short drive.
Maggie Hambling caused a bit of stir when she designed a shell, which is now situated on the Beach Nr Aldeburgh,I personally cannot see what all the fuss is about ,you either like it or you hate it or possibly like me can take it or leave it.
The Suffolk coast has known many violent storms, but few as intense as the gale of controversy that has enveloped The Scallop, the sculpture recently erected on Aldeburgh beach.
The artwork, by Maggi Hambling, takes the form of a large shell and celebrates the life of the composer Benjamin Britten, who made the small, genteel town world famous.
One of my favorite places,we come here often to take in the sea air,nice and peaceful.
Crag Path is a well-maintained promenade, which skirts the sea for a mile, with its colorful houses Bed and Breakfast and art galleries. There is a picturesque quay at Slaughden, in the suburb, on the Alde, which river does not join the sea at Aldeburgh.
Thorpeness has the House in the Clouds and Thorpeness WindmillSadly the Windmill is Now closed to the Public.
Not to forget the boating mere, one of my favorite places to sit and watch the world go by.
- Pros:The Countryside and the Sea
- Cons:Too many visitors summertime
- In a nutshell:A nice place to be.
The Harwich Harbour Cruise Lasting around three and a half hours, journey down the River Orwell past Pin Mill to the... more travel advice
Thorpeness windmill is a 'Post Mill',one of two common types of mill found in England.It takes its name from the... more travel advice
- See All Amber Fantastic
- See All Good Food
- See All Best view in Aldeburgh
- See All Aldeburgh / Thorpeness
kevin36's Related Pages
Suffolk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Aldeburgh & Thorpeness"
- "a short holiday"
- "Unspoilt Suffolk..."
- "Suffolk, East Anglia"
- "Just Passing Through"
- "Suffolk, the Heart of East Anglia."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suffolk
- Hotels in Suffolk
- Transportation in Suffolk
- Nightlife in Suffolk
- Restaurants in Suffolk
- Shopping in Suffolk
- Warnings and Dangers in Suffolk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suffolk
- 42 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Suffolk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suffolk
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lagos Intro, 36 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk (County) Intro, 34 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suffolk Intro, 34 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Cefalonia Intro, 27 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 20 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altenahr Intro, 16 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heraklion Intro, 16 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fethiye Intro, 15 reviews, 66 photos