"Baxter State Park Maine" Baxter State Park by Melann
Baxter State Park Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 43 photos
We drove from our home in Upstate NY to Medway Maine one of the only towns near Baxter it was a very long almost 13 hour ride. The Massachusett Turnpike (Mass. Pike)was one of the worst roads I have ever travelled , traffic was horrendous there were toll booths everywhere.Anyway we finally arrived and were shocked to find such vast emptiness in the North East. We stayd in a basic cabin at Katahdin Shadows Campground in Medwaywhich was about a 20 minute drive from the park. We entered the park via the Southernmost entrance I would advise anyone who us going to eother have 4 wheel drive or prepare for a bumpy trip it is literally a 7 - 8 milr long tote rode that you are on. We stopped at the first day use area and park campground which was Roaring Brook.From there we walked in on mainly boardwalk to Sandy Stream Pond this one one of our favorite spots as we saw moose here everyday feeding on aquatic plants and generally just doing the things that moose do. We were lucky enough to see a mama and her babies 3 times and the last day of our trip we sat through a rainstorm to watch a big huge bull - the kids were thrilled and even more excited when a tourist complete with bright white socks and unscuffed hiking boots stop looked out at the water and said to his companion "they are just staring at rocks" and they walked away. (Those rocks were actually moose backs they were feeding underwater) From Sandy Stream we hiked up South Turner Mountain which was ok but not a really great hike. Mount Katahdin looms over Sandy Stream Pond and we were lucky enough to see some beautiful storm clouds. We also drove the endless Golden Road (a logging road open to the public BEWARE logging trucks have the right of way) and stopped at numerous places along the way. We were sitting in a marsh watching a mama and baby moose when we were lucky enough o see a big old black bear meander across the ridge behind us and into some bushes. We also saw a mama bear and 2 cubs along the Golden Road. The town of Millinocket is between Baxter and where we stayed this is the last place to get gas and supplies before entering the park there are no concessionaires no gas stations no nothing once you are inside the park boundaries.If ypu have any questions feel free to e mail sorry I do not have any digital pics from this trip.
- Pros:If nothing is what you want no tourist traps ...no amusement parks ...you will find it here.The wildlife and the general wildness of the park was spectacular.
- Cons:The ignorance of some people who think its ok to taunt wildlife
- In a nutshell:Great place to visit it you are looking for solitude and spectacular backpacking opportunities
Baxter State Park is the home to the Northern terminus of the famed Appalachian Trail Mount Katahdin.The stretch of... more travel advice
Be prepared for the roads that run through the park itself they are basically nothing more then dirt tote roads. I would... more travel advice
Melann's Related Pages
Baxter State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Baxter State Park"
- "Maine's Forever Wild Park"
- "Mount Katahdin area"
- "Baxter State Park"
- "Baxter State Park Maine"
- "Mount Katahdin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baxter State Park
- Hotels in Baxter State Park
- Transportation in Baxter State Park
- Nightlife in Baxter State Park
- Restaurants in Baxter State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Baxter State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baxter State Park
- 8 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Baxter State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baxter State Park
Top 10 Pages
- Dundee Intro, 12 reviews, 2 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wilmington Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- White Mountains Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lake George Intro, 9 reviews
- Baxter State Park Intro, 8 reviews
- Niagara Falls Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pennsylvania Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- New York State Intro, 1 review
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 1 photo
- Allegany State Park Intro, 1 review
No friends yet.