"A Magnificent site : Ephesus" Ephesus by FAIRYCHIMNEY
Ephesus Travel Guide: 509 reviews and 1,925 photos
EPHESUS : The most impressive and well-preserved ancient site in Turkey.Besides the ancient site, the countryside surrounding Selcuk is beatiful and well worth your time exploring.
‘things to do’ tips :
• Selcuk Museum
• Sirince (Greek) village
• Camlik locomotive museum
• Virgin Mary’s house
• The cave of the seven sleepers
• The Artemission
• The tomb of St. John
• According to bible , St. Paul was born in Tarsus Asia Minor (modern-day Turkey)
• He accomplished three journeys in total before executed in Rome : Visited Cyprus, Asia Minor , Greece and Rome.
• He had been a persecutor of the church before his conversion
• The second contributor of the New testament
• In his time ,Antioch became an alternative centre for christians .
• He visited Perga, Antioch, Pisidia, Iconium, Lystra and Derbe in the first missionary journey.
• He had been to Derbe , Lystra , Phrygia , northern Galatia and Troas in the second missionary journey.
• He was almost killed in Ephesus theatre by stricts pagans as he criticized worshipping Artemis.(While he was travelling again in Asia Minor during the third and last missionary journey.
• Unlike the other ‘Jewish’ Christians , he raised up in a Greek-influenced society and this strongly influenced his writings and emphasis on ‘universal religion’
• St. Peter , one of the twelve apostles ; founder of the church in Antioch where the name ‘christian’ first announced.
• St. Luke , the author of the gospel of Luke and the acts of apostles , was originally from Antioch.He never eye-witnessed to Christ’s life.He is the founder of Christian Iconography as he was the first by painting Virgin Mary’s and St. Paul’s icons.
• St. Luke also resided in Troas.
• St. John, one of the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ and also one of the witnesses of ‘Transfiguration’ with Peter and James , live d and died in Ephesus at the age of 90.
One of the most important patron Saints that also survived from Roman
persecutions and died in peace.He is known as the one ‘Jesus loved the most’, took
care of Virgin Mary and brought her Ephesus along. It was the last legacy of Jesus
Christ on the cross . He was to first to believe that Jesus truly risen.
His grave located in Ephesus and ashes comes out of his grave believed to be
effective for healing the sick.
• John was allegedly banished by the Roman authorities to the island of Patmos.
• He also trained Polycarp , the famous bishop of Smyrna (Today’s İzmir ) This is very important as Polycarp was able carry his message to the following age.
• The house of the Virgin Mary located near Ephesus.
• Legendary ‘Seven Sleepers’ event actually occured nearby Ephesus : During the reign of Tiran Decius (249-251 AD) seven young christian boys asleep in a cave over 125 years. Seven sleepers cave can be seen after Vedius Gymnasium in the ancient site of Ephesus.
• Seven Churches located in Modern Turkey : Jesus Christ instructs Saint John to : “Write a book what you see and send it to the seven churches to Ephesus,to Symrna…….(Revalation 1:11)
1. Ephesus(Revelation 2:1-7) the Church of the first-love, the apostolic Church
2. Smyrna(Revalation 2:8-11) the persecuted Church-Diocletian to Constantine
3. Pergamon (Revalation 2:12-17) the Church under imperial favor-under Constantine
4. Thyatira(Revelation 2:18-29) the papal Church-the Dark Ages
5. Sardis(Revelation 3:1-6)the Reformation Church--protestantism, sixteenth and seventeenth centuries
6. Philadelphia (Revalation 3:7 -13) the missionary Church period
7. Laodicea( Revelation 3:14-22) The rejected Church-Church of the final apostasy"
•Legendary ‘Seven Sleepers’ event actually occured nearby Ephesus : During the reign of Tiran Decius (249-251 AD) seven... more travel advice
FAIRYCHIMNEY's Related Pages
Ephesus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE WONDER OF EPHESUS"
- "Ephesus - Ancient city"
- "The Inspiring Roman Ruins of Ephesus"
- "Ephesus the open air Museum"
- "Ephesus (Efes) and Nearby Selcuk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ephesus
- Hotels in Ephesus
- Transportation in Ephesus
- Nightlife in Ephesus
- Restaurants in Ephesus
- Shopping in Ephesus
- Warnings and Dangers in Ephesus
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ephesus
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Ephesus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ephesus
Photos in EphesusSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Goreme Intro, 31 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Urgup Intro, 19 reviews, 9 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Kas Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Fethiye Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- Ephesus Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Hatay Ili Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Izmir Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Izmir Ili 1 review, 4 photos
- Ayvalik Intro, 4 reviews, 1 photo