"Explore Holland in Miniature" Madurodam by jo104
Madurodam Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 163 photos
Mention Madurodum to adult Dutchies and they will probably get that glazed look in their eyes as they start to reminisce about their childhood. This city may be the smallest in Holland hosting the whole of Holland in miniature form but its definitely not only for the little ones.
Stroll through various focal places in Holland there are some 167 numbered masterpieces to behold. The models show the beautiful examples of Dutch architecture through the ages. There is a railway system with various stations and model trains just as in the big world go about their business ferrying passengers to their destinations. You will see moving canal boats in those canal cties which is something one might do in Amsterdam.
Some of these models have taken 4 years to build and the scale models are very valuable some costing as much as Euro 450,000. A team of 35 experts are involved working on construction and maintenance of the site. You may be amazed as well to find out that the greenery is in fact real, small leaved trees and shrubs are used although these trees can grow up to 15metres in length, so they are pruned regularly so they are no more then 60 centimetres
As you enter the park you will be greeted by the model of Hansje Brinker the little boy who put this finger in the dyke.
Queen Beatrix was appointed the first mayoress of the miniature city at its opening a position she fulfilled until she was crowned queen in 1980 but she is still the city's patroness.
Each of the model cities are clearly numbered and providing you follow the yellow markings on the footpath you should have no trouble strolling the right way whilst making reference to your coloured guide which gives all the details of the model.
I will take you through some of the models I took photographs in the tips section. Be aware that you could spend a whole day here, I was suprised that we spent about 2.5hours browsing.
- Pros:Helps to plan the next trip to Holland
- Cons:It takes longer then you think to get around
- In a nutshell:Seen it small - Now see the larger version
This mill dates from 1743 has seven levels in the tower. It ground corn to flour using wind energy for about 200... more travel advice
Is Dam Square always so full of people, stages or scafolding you struggle to get good pictures, well come here to be... more travel advice
jo104's Related Pages
Madurodam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Explore Holland in Miniature"
- "Holland in small size !!!"
- "Holland in't small..."
- "Madurodam - Around the Netherlands in 80 minutes"
- "Something Different"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madurodam
- Transportation in Madurodam
- Restaurants in Madurodam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madurodam
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Madurodam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madurodam
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 100 reviews, 201 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 171 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 71 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 122 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandy Intro, 30 reviews, 83 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 34 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos