"Jersey come rain or shine" Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey by jo104

Jersey Travel Guide: 322 reviews and 529 photos

The Channel Islands

I came here over the Easter weekend and whilst it was cold and wet I think I can safely say that I would love to come back to explore Jersey in the summer so watch this spot.

From my limited time on the Island I can say that the people are for the most part incredibly friendly and helpful. Jersey is only 14km long and 8km wide although as you make your way along the narrow winding roads it feels larger. Beautiful white sandy beaches are everywhere some safer then others due to the extreme tidal movements which can cause strong currents making swimming dangerous.

There are many remnants to be seen of German fortifications when Jersey was the only part of the British Isles to be occupied by the Nazi's for 5 long years, islanders that remained suffered to the point of starvation. Jersey was liberated on 9 May 1945.

• Pros:friendly people, inexpensive quality restuarants, VAT free haven
  • Cons:winter bus timetable, seasonal openings
  • Last visit to Jersey: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2008

• greyowl7's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2010 at 6:01 AM

Sorry about your bad experience. I must add a high recommendation for this restaurant (= Corbiere Phare) for excellent food (European, vegetarian, fish, Thai) and an magic view of the lighthouse (esp. impressive at very high tide on a stormy day)

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2009 at 5:03 AM

Greetings from New Jersey! What a wonderful tour, your tips are fabulous. Like Jersey...in New Jersey we have some great wineries...but no real castles.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Another fascinating page, Jo - especially liked the lighthouse - photos & detail great - very impressive info on war tunnels. Carol <(•¿•)>

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Marvelous, Jo! Helpful, instructive, and interesting. Loved your hotel tip. The Wine Estate, Glass Church, Jersey War Tunnels, as well as the Light House, Royal Square, Shell Gardens, and Elizabeth Castle were terrific. Historic!!

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Nice info and photos on Jersey. We visited Guernsey a few years ago. Many things in common among the Channel Islands. Thanks.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2008 at 5:30 AM

Scenic place with lots of lovely walks. Loved the picture of the Corbiere Lighthouse with the causeway. Never seen or tasted black butter before but the butter dish I have at home looks like those made on Jersey.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2008 at 5:03 AM

Hi Jo. My company has a branch in Jersey, and I've been begging my boss for years to let me go! Jersey looks lovely, and I really enjoyed reading your pages. Greetings from the desert / Jess :-)

• Jasen71's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 7:40 AM

Glad to see you made to the best place in the british isles. The manager of the corbiere is very famous abrupt way.. he's is the real big vern and own the cafe you liked in the bay...so you have met him again..;P

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2008 at 1:48 PM

I visited Jersey very much pre VT & liked what I saw = nice tips evoking fond memories for me!!

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2008 at 10:37 AM

I had the Best time of my life working here..

jo104

“Be prepared for a culture shock!”

Badges & Stats in Jersey