"You can't get much greener then KEW" Top 5 Page for this destination Kew Gardens by jo104

Kew Gardens Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 345 photos

I can't believe its GLASS

I visited Kew with my friend Frans who has sadly gone back to live in SA. He was lucky enough to see this exiqusite glass display for his first visit to this a magical place.
The Glass display is on until 15/01/2006. The artist is Dale Chihuly

Update July 2006 - sadly the glass expo is over but there is always something going on at Kew so be check out the website. The summer of 2006 saw the introduction of wallabies & also the opening of the Pagoda which give stunning views over South London.

We went inside the Palm house which is kept at a tropical temperature, great if its nippy outside. Most of the conservatories close before the gates so we managed to get to the Princess of Wales Conservatory

There are many areas to visit in Kew, it is really huge & often there is not enough time to see everything. Temperate house has a lot of the glass displays.

During October Kew gardens is opening after dark to allow visitors to see the glass exhibition illuminated by lights.

From November to December Temperate house will become a large ice skating rink

On another visit Karen & I walked a fair distance around the 300acre gardens. We went into the conservation area to get a closer view of some "stags" as well as the wallabies & then chilled out under the giant redwoods and tried to absorb some of their wisdom.

We were lucky to get into Kew Gardens free as there was a music festival on to promote world peace - some of the music was alright & some a little exhurberant. We packed in a picnic lunch to enjoy on the grass.

We got around to viewing the waterlilly house and bonsai tree collection.
After spending hours sauntering in the sun we left to cheer on England in their last World cup match :-(

My most recent visit to Kew was with Han & monkey, another lovely day with lots of fresh air, the meditarranean festival was on at the time.

• Pros:Stunning, unusual plants
  • Cons:bad for hayfever sufferers
  • In a nutshell:Relaxing must see place
  • Last visit to Kew Gardens: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 23, 2007

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Thank you for your tips about Kew Gardens. I haven't been there yet, but it's been on my wish list for some time.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Hi Jo! Lovely to see you back on VT again. I really enjoyed my tour of Kew Gardens. I was hoping to make it here when we were in London, but time went too fast. At least I know what I missed now!

• jo104's Profile Photo
      Feb 27, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Kew is fabulous probably they have added even more things since I last visited.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Australia should be so ashamed...we are building all over our beautiful land....

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2014 at 5:01 AM

My wife would love this place. We have a hectare lot and she planted all her flowers and shrubs---my duties were to look after the fruit trees

• jo104's Profile Photo
      Jan 24, 2014 at 5:11 AM

kew gardens takes almost 2 days to walk around, kandy botanical gardens are small but nice

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2009 at 10:24 AM

oh thanks!! a great idea for my next visit; beautiful photos.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I have always wanted to visit Kew Gardens, so thank you for the great photos and information on what it has to offer! I'd love to explore the Palmery and I bet the view from atop the Pagoda is brilliant!

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Wonderful fotos and very good tips!Great page!Have been once at Kew garden and enjoyed it a lot

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2008 at 7:47 AM

Do you believe I thought this was "Que" gardens.....Dahhh! I like the photo with the long blue dress. Ciao bella, Carol

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Your great tips and photos make me feel slightly guilty that I live just up the road from this wonderful place and haven't visited for years!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2007 at 4:35 AM

Brilliant photos of the plants and animals. I didn't know that monkeys live in Kew Gardens. Keep up the good work .... :-)

jo104 Visits Here Frequently!

“Be prepared for a culture shock!”

Badges & Stats in Kew Gardens

Have you been to Kew Gardens?

Latest Activity in Kew Gardens