Oxford Transportation Tips by jo104

Oxford Transportation: 59 reviews and 38 photos

Oxford Explorer Buses Review

We decided not to do the hop on hop off city sightseeing open top bus as Oxford is a city that is easily walkable. The bus takes an hour in total with a live guide & multi-lingual commentary several of these buses passed us while we did our walking tour at GBP11.50, senior or student GBP9.50 Child GBP6 I am not sure it would be worthwhile doing unless of course you were extremely pressed for time.

Wheelchair access on some departures enquire when booking.

Our walking tour with a blue badge guide took 2 hours and cost GBP7 & I can highly recommend it

Mode: AROUND

Type: Bus

Website: http://www.citysightseeingoxford.com

• Updated Aug 3, 2008
First Great Western Trains Review

I looked into taking the bus into Oxford vs the train & suprisingly time & money wise it suited me better to take the train. This may well be because of the fact that I have a railcard which gives me a third discount off the price but nontheless do check before you travel.

The journey takes about an hour & the ticket out cost me GBP9 & GBP4 return I selected single ticket options as a cheap day return in total cost more then the 2 singles. Purchase your tickets in advance & a seat reservation is included in the price (I believe this can cost extra in some countries like the Netherlands)

You can book your tickets & pick them up on the day prior to departure. Booking through the main rail website instead of thetrainline means you don't need to pay a postage fee for 1st class postage.

The journey is fairly smooth with lovely countryside views, there is a buffet car in case you get peckish & the toilets are fairly clean.

Mode: TO

Type: Train

Website: http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk

• Written Aug 3, 2008

jo104

“Be prepared for a culture shock!”

Badges & Stats in Oxford