Oxford Transportation Tips by jo104
Oxford Transportation: 59 reviews and 38 photos
We decided not to do the hop on hop off city sightseeing open top bus as Oxford is a city that is easily walkable. The bus takes an hour in total with a live guide & multi-lingual commentary several of these buses passed us while we did our walking tour at GBP11.50, senior or student GBP9.50 Child GBP6 I am not sure it would be worthwhile doing unless of course you were extremely pressed for time.
Wheelchair access on some departures enquire when booking.
Our walking tour with a blue badge guide took 2 hours and cost GBP7 & I can highly recommend it
I looked into taking the bus into Oxford vs the train & suprisingly time & money wise it suited me better to take the train. This may well be because of the fact that I have a railcard which gives me a third discount off the price but nontheless do check before you travel.
The journey takes about an hour & the ticket out cost me GBP9 & GBP4 return I selected single ticket options as a cheap day return in total cost more then the 2 singles. Purchase your tickets in advance & a seat reservation is included in the price (I believe this can cost extra in some countries like the Netherlands)
You can book your tickets & pick them up on the day prior to departure. Booking through the main rail website instead of thetrainline means you don't need to pay a postage fee for 1st class postage.
The journey is fairly smooth with lovely countryside views, there is a buffet car in case you get peckish & the toilets are fairly clean.
More Reviews (25)
jo104's Related Pages
Oxford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oxford Stories"
- "The Gown Town"
- "A home in Oxford"
- "The Oxford Story"
- "City of Dreaming Spires"
- "The City of Dreaming Spires"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oxford
- Hotels in Oxford
- Transportation in Oxford
- Nightlife in Oxford
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Shopping in Oxford
- Warnings and Dangers in Oxford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oxford
- 27 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Oxford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oxford
- Posted in Travel Kandy Forum "Re: Cheap accommodation in Kandy"
- Commented on one of MikeBird's Oxford travel pages
- updated a Oxford Travel Page "The City of Dreaming Spires"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The City of Dreaming Spires"
- Wrote a Review New College Grounds / City Wall / The Mound about Oxford University & Colleges in Oxford Things to Do
Photos in OxfordSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 100 reviews, 201 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 171 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 122 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 64 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 34 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
- Oxford Intro, 27 reviews, 50 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (118)
- Oxford University & Colleges- 85 Reviews, 195 Photos
- Christ Church- 29 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Punting- 16 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Bodleian Library- 16 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Bridge of Sighs- 15 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Radcliffe Camera- 16 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Magdalen College- 10 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Museums- 21 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Sheldonian Theatre- 12 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Carfax Tower- 10 Reviews, 17 Photos
See All Oxford Things to Do