"Swanage a peaceful haven outside tourist season" Swanage by jo104
Swanage Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 136 photos
Well this is what the locals call tourists who invade their seaside village in their 100's campers, caravaners or simply daytrippers from bornemouth. The locals call themselves Swannies.
Swanage has been awarded the prestigious "Blue Flag" award for its clear unpolluted beaches. Water sport activities are popular such as sailing, windsurfing & learning to scuba dive.
Cruises depart from the newly restored pier daily and sail to Isle of Wight, Bournemouth, Poole as well as trips out to Durlston & Old Harrys Rocks
The village is very pretty & lots of friendly pubs in close proximaty actually every new year the town does a fancy dress street party & all pubs are open till last person standing
The mowlem centre sporting the theatre is amongst the ugliest buildings I've seen.
There are lovely walks & in particular to Durlston head which is one of the finest places for bird watching & sea cliff views. Durlston is a coastwatch centre & dolphins are often seen in the bay.
I have not yet been to the ruins of Corfe Castle but will go next time travelling on their delightful steam train covering 6 miles of track between swanage & Norden. The railway was built in 1885 closed in 1972 & reopened by volunteers in 1979
The castle was built in the 11th centuary & was where Cromwell defeated Lady Bankes & the Royalists. I believe they do excellent cream teas & Dorset apple pie at the pub nearby
jo104's Related Pages
Swanage Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Swanage- Dorset, England"
- "Swanage seaside town"
- "Swanage - a nice seaside town"
- "The English Seaside at its best"
- "Peace and quiet - or a real "rocking" place?"
- "Swanage- Dorset"
- "Swanage a peaceful haven outside tourist season"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Swanage
- Hotels in Swanage
- Transportation in Swanage
- Restaurants in Swanage
- Shopping in Swanage
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Swanage
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Swanage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swanage
- Posted in Travel Colombo Forum "Re: buying there"
- Commented on one of Jenniflower's Swanage travel pages
- updated a Swanage Travel Page "Swanage a peaceful haven outside tourist season"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Swanage a peaceful haven outside tourist season"
- Wrote a Review Something for everyone in Swanage Restaurants
Photos in SwanageSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 100 reviews, 201 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 171 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 122 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 64 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 34 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
- Oxford Intro, 27 reviews, 50 photos