Greenwich Transportation Tips by jo104
Greenwich Transportation: 38 reviews and 70 photos
You can catch the overground train from Charing Cross, Waterloo East or London Bridge with 2 going every hour.
Alternatively the jubilee underground line goes to Greenwich North but then you have to catch a bus into the centre.
Otherwise the more expensive way is to travel by boat from Tower Pier, Westminster Pier, Thames Pier or Charing Cross Pier sometimes you can get a discount through a website like www2for1entry.co.uk with a rail ticket or sometimes on your oyster card. Mostly a boat trip is included if yu take a hop on hop off bus tour around London
The DLR is a driverless light rail train and a delightful way to travel to Greenwich cause its a mini tour in itself, why not sit up front and pretend to drive or simply take a video.
If you have time my suggestion is you take the DLR to the Isle of Dogs and walk through the Greenwich Foot tunnel that goes under the thames and links the 2 sides of the river exit at the Cutty Sark. It is 1,217 feet in length and 50ft deep the tunnel is lined with 200,000 white tiles. From the Isle of Dogs you can get some wonderful pictures of Greenwich. There is a spiral staircase and a lift although the lift does not run at all hours.
If you are in a hurry or do not relish the walk I suggest again the DLR to Cutty Sark stop.
Remember if you are using your oyster card you will need to touch the yellow oyster reader to exit even though there are no barriers.
More Reviews (11)
jo104's Related Pages
Greenwich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic Greenwich"
- "Maritime Greenwich"
- "GREENWICH, ENGLAND"
- "Greenwich - the Prime Meridian of the World"
- "Green Greenwich, top of the hill, top of the bill"
- "Britain’s maritime legacy"
- "Greenwich, standing in two time zones"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greenwich
- Hotels in Greenwich
- Transportation in Greenwich
- Nightlife in Greenwich
- Restaurants in Greenwich
- Shopping in Greenwich
- Warnings and Dangers in Greenwich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greenwich
- 13 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Greenwich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greenwich
- Posted in Travel United Kingdom Forum "Re: Late June trip to London and???"
- Commented on one of Britannia2's Greenwich tips
- Wrote a Review Other ways of transport to Greenwich in Greenwich Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pizza Express"
- updated a Greenwich Travel Page "Greenwich across the thames"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 100 reviews, 201 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 171 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 71 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 122 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kandy Intro, 30 reviews, 83 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 34 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
- Old Royal Naval College and Hospital- 31 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Royal Observatory- 24 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Cutty Sark- 25 Reviews, 50 Photos
- National Maritime Museum- 19 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Queen's House- 12 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Greenwich Royal Park- 19 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Greenwich Foot Tunnel- 10 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Prime Meridian- 8 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Greenwich Market- 5 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Gipsy Moth IV yacht - no longer there- 3 Reviews, 5 Photos
See All Greenwich Things to Do