Cape Town Local Custom Tips by jo104 Top 5 Page for this destination
Cape Town Local Customs: 52 reviews and 48 photos
As regards to Restaurants tipping is considered appropriate anything from 10%, service charge may be added into bills if stated on the menu for larger parties. Waitrons do not earn a high basic wage & do rely on tips preferable to be left in cash rather then on the card.
Tipping at bars seems to have become mandatory, for example if you order 2 drinks at total cost R25 patrons give a R2 tip on the saucer once change is returned. Of course it can get a bit silly if you are at a bar for a while so at the end of the evening you may wish to leave the bar staff a tip.
There are a lot of car guards around in Cape Town whose job it is to watch your vehicle whilst it is parked. I personally feel at night time they add extra security & a feeling of safety - Of course don't give a tip if you feel threatened, although this is usually not the case the guards are pleasent enough although there is competition & squabbling between who looked after the car. I do however feel justified in not giving a tip in a normal supermarket car park where parking is free unless they have helped find a parking spot in a crowded area or loaded your bags in etc.
Do be careful not to flaunt your cash or wallet when giving tips in the open, coins are usually sufficient.
I think a charge was introduced as a result of Cape Town trying to reduce roadside rubbish at first but of course it is also very enviromentally friendly.
There is a nominal charge per thin plastic bag added to your grocery bill. Or alternatively you can purchase a green bag which is a strong fabric bag for life currently Pick n Pay charge R5 per bag with a percentage going to enviromental projects.
The main supermarkets in Cape Town are Pick n Pay & Checkers (Shoprite) which equate to Sainsburys / Tesco (UK). Woolworths in SA is effectively a Marks & Spencer store.
In Centuary City where you pay for parking the supermarkets will stamp your parking card giving you an hour free when you purchase just one thing.
Shopping at the supermarket for picnic items & wine can save you an enormous amount on lunches out. We often take a picnic when we visit Kirstenbosch botanical gardens. They sell ready made salads & pies as well. You may also find wine is cheaper to buy at a supermarket then even on the wine farms & certainly cheaper then at the airport.
Show them how its done daddy
There is nothing better then enjoying a traditional South African braai. It is usually done on a wood burning fire outside. The men traditionally are in charge of cooking the meat whilst drinking several beers whilst the women prepare yummy salads like potatoe salad, carrot & orange salad, coleslew, noodle salad, rice salad curried with peaches & a tossed salad which could contain fruiit.
The sausage is called borewors which is a spicied sausage coiled into a round. Sosaties are cubes of meat & vegetables on a stick. Chops & chicken are also pretty common. People do fish in tin foil (although I'm not a lover of fish)
South Africans make a day of having a braai & the goodness is in the eating - hungry just typing this
More Reviews (61)
- See All African experience
- See All Theatre / Ballet / Comedy
- Most things you can purchase here
- See All V&A Waterfront
- See All Wellington Wine Route
- See All luxuary self catering garden suite -...
jo104's Related Pages
Cape Town Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cape Town"
- "Confessions of a Vaalie"
- "Cape Town"
- "Cape Town"
- "My Home town - Additions under construction"
- "Electrifying Cape Town"
- "Cape Town Peninsula & Wine Lands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Town
- Hotels in Cape Town
- Transportation in Cape Town
- Nightlife in Cape Town
- Restaurants in Cape Town
- Shopping in Cape Town
- Warnings and Dangers in Cape Town
- See All...
Explore the World
- Richards Bay
- Khorfakkan Hotels
- Paniqui Hotels
- Badoc Hotels
- Velden am Wörthersee
- Lignano Sabbiadoro Hotels
- San Felíu de Guixols
- Petra Hotels
Badges & Stats in Cape Town
- 64 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Cape Town?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Town
- Posted in Travel Sri Lanka Forum "Re: Taxi and tuk tuk fares"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Picnic in Newlands Forest"
- Commented on one of mikelisaanna's Cape Town travel pages
- Wrote a Review African experience in Cape Town Restaurants
- updated a Cape Town Travel Page "My Home town - Additions under construction"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 100 reviews, 201 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 171 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 122 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 64 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 34 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
- Oxford Intro, 27 reviews, 50 photos
Latest Cape Town hotel reviews
- Tulip Inn Cape Town
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 7, 2013
- Southern Sun Waterfront
- 439 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- City Lodge V & A Waterfront Cape Town
- 135 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Metropole Luxury Boutique Hotel
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- St George's Hotel Cape Town
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Protea Hotel Riviera Resort
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Formule 1 Cape Town Foreshore
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 12, 2013
- Ritz Hotel Cape Town
- 246 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Lagoon Beach Hotel & Apartments Cape Town
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Cape Grace Hotel
- 729 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Mount Nelson Hotel
- 549 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Garden Court Eastern Boulevard
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Long Street Backpackers
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Cape Town Century City
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Road Lodge Cape Town N1 City
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2013
- Table Mountain- 156 Reviews, 262 Photos
- Cape Point- 111 Reviews, 205 Photos
- Penguins - Boulders Beach- 70 Reviews, 154 Photos
- V & A Waterfront- 68 Reviews, 117 Photos
- Bo-Kaap- 26 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Castle of Good Hope- 26 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Two Oceans Aquarium- 24 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Robben Island- 40 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Kirstenbosch Gardens- 54 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Cape Town CBD- 33 Reviews, 47 Photos
See All Cape Town Things to Do