"The Beautiful Garden Route" Top 5 Page for this destination Knysna by jo104

Knysna Travel Guide: 170 reviews and 356 photos

I decided to book 3 nights in Knysna during my stay in Cape Town. We were planning to visit the Cango Caves in Oudtshoorn which is situated 55km north of George, however as a day trip from Knysna it takes 2.5 hours drive so it is better to take that detour prior to entering knysna from George direction

We stayed in Bougain-villa B&B which was very central & our private deck had a lovely view of the Knysna lagoon. On the first day we discovered the town as well as the waterfront. The town has a variety of shops which sell crafts as well as the usual chain stores.

Knysna is famous for its oysters & the Knysna Oyster festival is celebrated here from 30 June to 9 July, although as I am not a lover of seafood.

During our stay we visted Noetzie beach famed for its castles. We took a drive to Natures Valley which is just a lovely peaceful setting, here you can hear the Loerie birds & Hadida birds calling from the trees. We also took a drive to Brenton on Sea which offers paragliding & canoe hire. On a previous visit to Knysna I have visited the pretty village of Belvedere which is based around the Holy Trinity Church a beautiful example of 12th Century Norman style architecture.

• Pros:Great food
  • Cons:lack of internet cafes
  • Last visit to Knysna: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2006

• CDM7's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Did a train ride into Knynsa while doing the Garden Route in 2005.

• jo104's Profile Photo
      Feb 7, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Unfortunately not wish I did when I was there in dec 2011 have to do many updates

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Nice Knysna page. Unfortunately, we were only able to spend one night there, but would love to go back sometime and do more exploring.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2009 at 5:53 AM

Been there , done that! Thanks Jo, I love Knysna.

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Hi Jo, thanx for visiting my NYC page. The Garden Route remains one of he most beautiful places! Groete vanuit SA, Pierre

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2007 at 7:30 AM

Ag dankie vir die naam. My Afrikaans is ook baie swak nou.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 12:20 AM

That B&B sonds great Jo, and restaurants sound good too! May well be down this way myself later in the year : )

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Hi Jo, Nice page, I have read about the Garden Route. My wife is wary about South Africa, that is why we are sampling Sun City this May and if she is happy we will take a tour from Cape Town in a year or so.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Next time visit the Elephant sanctuary. Not the nicest experience to ride it bare back, but very exiting ;-)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 8:36 AM

I don't know which I would chose to do first, the nature walk, a relaxing visit to Noetzie Beach or a peek at the countryside by train....nice portrait of Knysna, Jo! Regards from Texas...have a great weekend!!!!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2007 at 11:33 AM

I really must visit South Africa soon!

jo104

“Be prepared for a culture shock!”

Badges & Stats in Knysna