"Aayubowan" Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka by jo104
Sri Lanka Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 201 photos
I have had a culture injection in possibly the most extreme way, being a foreigner marrying into a Sri Lankan family.
I have had the opportunity to explore the diversity of this Island and yes there are beautiful beaches but if thats not what floats your boat there is a whole host of other things to see & do.
The cultural triangle Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Anuradhapura where Sri Lanka's most ancient histories come alive. The ancient ruins of the kings, the sacred religious relics and statues, a real archeological discovery and now these sites are listed as UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Aptly named Hill Country is full of beeautiful lush green scenery and cooler climates. An abundance of waterfalls, tea plantations and misty peaks make this a walkers heaven.
Kandy was the last Sinhalese kingdom to fall to the British it holds its charm and prides itself on its cultural heritage. A train trip to the cool climates of Nuwar Eliya where you can enjoy a night by the fire. Ella is certainly in my view the most beautiful little find in Sri Lanka a peaceful haven with gentle walks and spectacular views.
Then of course there are beautiful beaches Trincomalee, Unawatuna, Arugum Bay, Hikkaduwa to name a few I have visited. You can find numerous water sports such as scuba diving, snorkelling, kite surfing and water skiing.
Sri Lanka is still recovering from the civil war, do bear in mind that places like Jaffna and Trincomalee have a lot of catching up to do.
P&S Bakery is a safe choice if you fancy a few shorties, a rice and curry parcel. Their restaurants are very clean and... more travel advice
Showing too much flesh can be frowned upon on the beach its ok to wear a bikini but when you go back to the restaurant... more travel advice
jo104's Related Pages
Sri Lanka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sri Lanka"
- "Under construction, please be patient."
- "Sri Lanka - a 3 week guide"
- "Expedition to find Sri Lankas original Settlers"
- "Our short tropical getaway"
- "Sri Lanka revisted"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sri Lanka
- Hotels in Sri Lanka
- Transportation in Sri Lanka
- Restaurants in Sri Lanka
- Shopping in Sri Lanka
- Warnings and Dangers in Sri Lanka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sri Lanka
- 33 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 36 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Sri Lanka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sri Lanka
Photos in Sri LankaSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 100 reviews, 201 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 171 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 122 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 41 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 64 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 34 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
- Oxford Intro, 27 reviews, 50 photos