"Aayubowan" Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka by jo104

Sri Lanka Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 201 photos

I have had a culture injection in possibly the most extreme way, being a foreigner marrying into a Sri Lankan family.

I have had the opportunity to explore the diversity of this Island and yes there are beautiful beaches but if thats not what floats your boat there is a whole host of other things to see & do.

The cultural triangle Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Anuradhapura where Sri Lanka's most ancient histories come alive. The ancient ruins of the kings, the sacred religious relics and statues, a real archeological discovery and now these sites are listed as UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The Aptly named Hill Country is full of beeautiful lush green scenery and cooler climates. An abundance of waterfalls, tea plantations and misty peaks make this a walkers heaven.

Kandy was the last Sinhalese kingdom to fall to the British it holds its charm and prides itself on its cultural heritage. A train trip to the cool climates of Nuwar Eliya where you can enjoy a night by the fire. Ella is certainly in my view the most beautiful little find in Sri Lanka a peaceful haven with gentle walks and spectacular views.

Then of course there are beautiful beaches Trincomalee, Unawatuna, Arugum Bay, Hikkaduwa to name a few I have visited. You can find numerous water sports such as scuba diving, snorkelling, kite surfing and water skiing.

Sri Lanka is still recovering from the civil war, do bear in mind that places like Jaffna and Trincomalee have a lot of catching up to do.

• Last visit to Sri Lanka: Apr 2012
  • Intro Updated Dec 10, 2012

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Great to get an insider's views on what to watch out for here. I must say I'm hungry after reading some of your food tips!

• jo104's Profile Photo
      Mar 7, 2014 at 4:42 AM

Thanks for rating my tips many more food tips to come. I do manage to have a salad every now & then with a side order of rice. Today a ham sandwich which was divine, I have not had ham since last year

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Mar 8, 2014 at 3:08 AM

Let me know when you write more - especially about the food ;-)

• Masha_M's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Very nice photos and good tips. thanks!

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Great page with useful/insider tips! I dream to discover Sri Lanka and also enjoy a Maldives scuba safari ;-J One more destination for my travel list ;-)

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I am planning a trip to Sri Lanka in the next year or two, partly to visit Kandy for family research! Your pages have been a great help, thanks a lot :) Lia

• jo104's Profile Photo
      Feb 20, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Thanks Lia I would love to help u with anything you need I know a lot of people and have not nearly scratched the surface on sl :)

• Assenczo's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Hi, when is the best time, the smallest amount of rain, to visit Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Anuradhapura ?

• carolondon's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Thanks for the wealth of info Jo - great work!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Don't you just LOVE the Sigiriya area!! I first climbed the rock in 1974 when there were NO handrails or assist of any type, and again 25 yrs later when my husband went with me on his first trip. Getting antsy since it's been nearly 2 yrs, so hoping to get back next year! (my 13th trip there)

jo104 Lives Here!

jo104

“Be prepared for a culture shock!”

Badges & Stats in Sri Lanka

Have you been to Sri Lanka?

Latest Activity in Sri Lanka