"Bathurst 1000" Bathurst by Tina-Perth

Bathurst Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 115 photos

Supercars!

Having never been a car racing fan, it was with reluctance that I agreed to join my partner Steve on an invitation by Orrcon Racing to attend the Bathurst 1000.

Sooo glad I did! I absolutely loved it. Mind you, we were treated like gold by the terrific team at Orrcon Steel.

We spent our time in the Sponsor's Box (right above the pits). As it happens, I know Larry Perkins from when I sat with him at a dinner when he visited Perth for the races at Barbagello Raceway, so I got to catch up with him whilst in Bathurst.

Larry Perkins

Larry Perkins is a terrific guy. A real Aussie bloke. You can just tell he's a nice guy by looking at his face.

Larry invited us into his pit and showed Steve and I the computers and how the show runs. It was great, very exciting.

Larry Perkins as you may or may not know is Holden. Orrcon support Mark Larkham who is Ford. You can look up either of them on the internet and receive newsletters if you like.

Helicopter Ride

One of the wonderful things that the Orrcon team did for us was give us all a ride in a helicopter to view Mount Panorama from the air.

A great experience and a totally different perspective on the track.

• Pros:Atmosphere, excitement
  • Cons:Nothing really, not even 'Feral Hill'
  • In a nutshell:Not just for boys
  • Last visit to Bathurst: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2005

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2006 at 2:01 PM

Go Holden!!!!!! aren't you a lucky girl, and a helicopter ride, how cool is that :-))!!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2006 at 1:50 AM

Just back from a day in Bathurst doing a planning day for workshops for teachers. Have driven around Mt Panorama, but thank goodness there were no race cars there at the time! lol!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2006 at 10:47 AM

I won't mention how long ago I used to go to Bathurst. Suffice it to say I've seen Jack Brabham race there! Thanks for sharing.

• Bangkokjoe's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2005 at 5:25 AM

I know NOTHING about cars. My loverrly has a red one. Mine is a Ford Pickup. If you say ute I'll know what you mean. (I'm quite flexible on local jargon) Will Steve / Chris / Whoever happens to be in your bed, know how to get my wipers working?

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2005 at 7:40 AM

WoW Tina!!! I'm sooo jealous!! Fancy knowing Larry!! I'm an old holden fan from way back!! Brocky, Richards & Gricey. Used to spend all day watching the Bathurst!! Luck you!! Cheers, Ann :o)

Tina-Perth

“Buddies are family”

Badges & Stats in Bathurst

Have you been to Bathurst?

Latest Activity in Bathurst