"Rebuilding a fishing village" Ban Nam Khem by Tina-Perth
Ban Nam Khem Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 11 photos
Ban Nam Khem is situated on the west coast in the south of Thailand. It was worst affected area by the tsunami in the country. It is still devastated by the effects of it, not just on the people because of their loss of loved ones, but the loss of their homes, incomes and the village itself.
This picture is somewhat poetic. It is a sad, stark reminder of what took place on 26th December, 2004 and what is still the reality for the villagers who live here.
Unfortunately fishing boats can no longer tie up to this pier.
Make sure you check my travelogue below to find out more about the situation at Ban Nam Khem.
This area used to be fairly high-density housing. 500-600 people died on this patch of ground. Many bodies were found in the tree-tops nearby. The fishing boats in the background pretty much tell the story.
If you read my travelogue on Ban Nam Khem, you will see Cha, the man that we purchased fishing nets for to enable him to return to earning an income to support his depleted family. This is where his house was situated before the tsunami.
The village is rebuilding. The army is there building homes as they have been for months. The people, like in the rest of Thailand's affected areas are resilient and have faith that sustains them. They have profound grief which has forever changed them, but they don't fight it and they live to honour their lost as well as their future.
Tina-Perth's Related Pages
Ban Nam Khem Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ban Nam Khem
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Ban Nam Khem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ban Nam Khem
Photos in Ban Nam KhemSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 123 reviews, 306 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phnom Penh Intro, 24 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 2 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Satun Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 4 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ban Khao Lak Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gold Coast Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern Thailand 6 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue