"Our Second Home - Phuket" Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket by Tina-Perth

Phuket Travel Guide: 3,193 reviews and 8,742 photos

The Beautiful Island

We spend around 6 months per year in Phuket from short trips of 3 weeks up to 4.5 months, our longest stays are over Christmas, when we usually get here in October and leave in February.

We are very fortunate to be able to spend so much time here, as we love it so much, although it is good to get back to Perth to catch up with friends and life back there, but basically, we just head back only to get things prepared for our next trip back to Phuket.

We first started visiting Phuket in July 2004, since then we have made countless trips here. It really does feel like our second home, especially as we don't stay in hotels, but rather, rent apartments, homes or now, live on our boat.

The boat has been a long, arduous journey, with 3 years on the hard stand and a further year in the water, undergoing a refit that should have taken around 1 year. Things progress very slowly in Thailand, with practically every job having to be done at least twice, as there is very little training, so there is not a high skill level. Things tend to be done the long way 'round and work is completed very, very slowly. A good example of how work is done in Thailand is, when a friend of ours asked for a flower bed to be built out the front of his newly finished home, the contractor concreted all the way up to the walls, instead of allowing for a bed. When our friend said to him, where's the flower bed I asked for? The reply came back, that they would just jackhammer the concrete out for that. That's how it's done here. Crazy, wasteful, time consuming ways. But nevertheless, you can't not love the Thais and their reasoning, as frustrating, time and money consuming as it is.

Some good things have come out of us not having the boat finished as planned, or even twice as long as planned, because we were given opportunities we never would have received if we'd finished the boat as planned and taken it back to Perth, so all is well in our world.

The Beautiful People

As soon as we arrive in Phuket, it feels like coming home. There is such an aura of peace, relaxation and belonging here.

Phuket is a land of peaceful, gentle people who welcome everyone with a smile and "Sawatdee". These people are so open, gentle, thoughtful and kind. They are tolerant, welcoming and accommodating. They will give you anything they can if you need it. They are not materialistic and love to help others. They are the most beautiful people I have ever met, their warmth, kindness and humility is neverending. I love to watch the community spirit at work amongst the Thai people, if anyone is in need, there is always someone there to help. Some people I know have even formed little community "banks" between neighbours, accounting for only maybe 12 families, each depositing 1,000 baht each month to be put into a kitty where one new family is selected each month to receive the 12,000 baht. This enables people with little money to be able to make large purchases that they couldn't ordinarily afford, unless they were to wait for 1 year. This enterprising, community spirit is what its all about for me. I love it.

This picture is a classic 'capture' of the Thai spirit. Joyful, energetic children who show respect and never seem to be a problem like you see western children being. No screaming, yelling, fighting, tugging at their parents clothing, wanting constant attention. These kids amuse themselves - and us. Thai kids always bring a smile to my face.

Magical Sunsets

Phuket sunsets are something else. This picture was taken at Laem Promthep (Promthep Cape) - the southernmost point of Phuket, famous for its sunset views. It has not been manipulated, this is the real colour of the sunset. Funnily enough, it began as quite an ordinary sunset and once the sun went down, everybody left, the coachloads and buses of tourists.

And then the sky started to change and get more and more deeply coloured. It was amazing, the red light reflected off everything. Cars were stopped along the roads to watch it. Luckily we'd stayed on at the Cape and could continue to marvel at the view for about 30 minutes after the sun went down.

• Pros:The calm, relaxed and gentle atmosphere
  • Cons:The Thai pace
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful people, beautiful place.
  • Last visit to Phuket: Jan 2009
  • Intro Updated Mar 2, 2009

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2014 at 5:01 AM

Great sunset photo.

• udtaparindaa's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2014 at 2:43 AM

that sunset sky is one of the most magical ones I have seen in my life. Thanks n btw I am leaving tonight I just wish I am able to see such beautiful scenes too :D

• machomikemd's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM

you should check boracay in the philippines, it better there, see my patong beaches tips here as i've included pictures of boracay beach which was voted as the number one island destination at trip advisor for 2011 and number 6 for 2012.

• acommon1's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Awesome photos.

• simanjuntak's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2010 at 11:55 PM

hi Tina, I am Indonesian and now i am in Phuket. are u around? or maybe u can give me some siggestion wer i can go? bcos now i am stay in Kata -Phuket Thank's a lot greeting frm Indonesia girl ;-)

• Robdaz's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Awesome tips on Phuket. Planning a trip there in Feb.

• branx's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I have just been looking at your phuket pages and am green with envy. I hope to visit ther in Feb for the first time. Wow your own boat over there that is really something special..enjoy.

• Sep 12, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Dengue is transmitted by the aedes (striped) day-biting mosquito. Malaria you get from the anopheles (brownish) night-biting mosquito.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM

The more I read and see about this country, the more I would like a visit. Just wish it was some thousands of miles closer. Nice job of presenting the beauty, and have a good life with the sunbear.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I was looking at yourPhuket page as we are seriously planing to visit BKK in Sept/Oct. Perhaps we can meet at BKK if God wish.How is Steve? Our regards to both of you. Thai air is so bad? You sure had awful time just like our Air India.

Tina-Perth Visits Here Frequently!

Tina-Perth