"The beautiful, lush Satun" Satun by Tina-Perth
Satun Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 68 photos
Satun (pronounced Satoon - as in book) is a largely Muslim (68%) province in the South of Thailand. Located on the west coast and bordered by the provinces of Trang, Phattalung and Songkla and by Malaysia to the south. The Andaman Sea edges its west coast and is the source of its rich fishing industry. Most of the Thai people here have a Malay background. The Muslims here are not separatist and actually intermarry with the Buddhist people.
This is typical of the scenery at Satun. The area is lush with natural foliages fringing and growing over the sudden eruptions of limestone karsts, along with many rubber tree and oil palm plantations. Fruit groves are also a regular feature here. Mangosteens are a favourite fruit, and actually Satun is a corruption of the Thai word 'Setul' which means Mangosteen. The provincial slogan is "Peaceful, Clean and Pure Nature". Nice to see!
I haven't had a look at Satun Town as yet, but will when we return later this year. There is such beauty and great natural sights/activities to take in throughout the province.
The area is just beginning to gear up for tourism, as the numbers of foreign visitors have been steadily growing.
- Pros:Beautiful, lush and few tourists
- Cons:Not so many people speak English
Khun Luxsame speaks english very well and will be able to arrange any transportation or tour needs for you from Satun... more travel advice
We were staying out of Satun town and our friend Mai's aunt and uncle own a motel which they gave us a free night's... more travel advice
Tina-Perth's Related Pages
Satun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Satun - a very beautiful place"
- "Satun: Thailand's gateway to Langkawi, Malaysia"
- "Satun - Thailand southernmost Province -west coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Satun
- Hotels in Satun
- Transportation in Satun
- Restaurants in Satun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Satun
- 13 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Satun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Satun
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 123 reviews, 306 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phnom Penh Intro, 24 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 2 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Satun Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 4 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ban Khao Lak Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gold Coast Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southern Thailand 6 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (110)
Latest Satun hotel reviews
- Pinnacle Satun Wangmai Hotel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013