"The beautiful, lush Satun" Satun by Tina-Perth

Satun Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 68 photos

Satun (pronounced Satoon - as in book) is a largely Muslim (68%) province in the South of Thailand. Located on the west coast and bordered by the provinces of Trang, Phattalung and Songkla and by Malaysia to the south. The Andaman Sea edges its west coast and is the source of its rich fishing industry. Most of the Thai people here have a Malay background. The Muslims here are not separatist and actually intermarry with the Buddhist people.

This is typical of the scenery at Satun. The area is lush with natural foliages fringing and growing over the sudden eruptions of limestone karsts, along with many rubber tree and oil palm plantations. Fruit groves are also a regular feature here. Mangosteens are a favourite fruit, and actually Satun is a corruption of the Thai word 'Setul' which means Mangosteen. The provincial slogan is "Peaceful, Clean and Pure Nature". Nice to see!

I haven't had a look at Satun Town as yet, but will when we return later this year. There is such beauty and great natural sights/activities to take in throughout the province.

The area is just beginning to gear up for tourism, as the numbers of foreign visitors have been steadily growing.

• Pros:Beautiful, lush and few tourists
  • Cons:Not so many people speak English
  • Last visit to Satun: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 6, 2008

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM

That cave is really spectacul. Lovely tips

• Hermanater's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Happy Birthday....amazing job on your pages :-)

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2009 at 8:44 AM

I love your Thailand pages - I will come back to this one (the weather) when we return to Thailland - very soon I hope.

• May 5, 2008 at 8:09 AM

Great picture from my lovely country

• DunaKal's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Tinaaaaaaa! Happy birthday girl....hugs to u!

• Oct 18, 2007 at 3:55 AM

I have seen your pictures taken from Phuket Zoo and I cannot stand to think how bad the conditions are for the animals. Please send your compliants to the Phuket province website or Tourism Authority of Thailand to help those poor animals.

• benazer's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2007 at 6:35 PM

Thanks tina for greeting me,that made me very happy. Hugsxx

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2006 at 3:58 AM

Very interesting page on Saturn. We had planned to go there but ran out of time. After seeing your photos we must try again.

• hash09's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2006 at 3:16 AM

small area of thailand, and nothing much to see, but the way you tell about the place, its really amaze me... I used to grown up in village area before, to see all your picture, it made me miss those life in the village area.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2006 at 10:50 PM

My best friend has just returned from Thailand and her stories have made me very interested in that country. Satun looks a really lovely place and one I'd love to visit. Great page with lots of information, thanks for sharing. Happy Birthday, Sini

Tina-Perth