"Wheeling, West Virginia" Wheeling by mikelisaanna
Wheeling Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 75 photos
Wheeling is small city on the Onio River in northern West Virginia that has a lot to offer the passing tourist. Over the years, Wheeling's economy benefited greatly from its location on the Ohio River, access to local coal mines, and the fact that the first major US highway (the National Road) and railroad (the Baltimore and Ohio) made it a major crossroads. Steel mills, glass manufacturing plants, and other industries sprang up in Wheeling and the surrounding area in the 1800s and early 1900s. Unfortunately, much of the city's industrial base is now shut down, and the city's economy is not as strong as it used to be. However, despite it current economic struggles, Wheeling is still worth a visit, and makes for a nice day trip from Pittsburgh, which is about 50 miles northeast of Wheeling.
The highlight of Wheeling, from a tourist standpoint, is the Oglebay Park complex, which is an amazing city-owned park that features a historic mansion, a glass museum (Wheeling was one of the leading glass manufacturing cities in America at one point), a planetarium, a small zoo, golf courses, a ski hill, and a nice resort hotel and conference center.
- Pros:Oglebay Park, friendly people
- Cons:Depressed local economy
- In a nutshell:A small city with plenty to see and do
Carriage House Glass is a store that carries a broad and beautiful selection of decorative and artistic glass objects,... more travel advice
The Oglebay Mansion is the former home of Earl Oglebay, who founded the Oglebay Norton company. When he died in 1926,... more travel advice
mikelisaanna's Related Pages
Wheeling Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wheeling, West Virginia"
- "Post-industrial Wheeling"
- "A Great Place to Live"
- "The National Road"
- "Welcome to Wheeling"
- "oneonta_ni's new Wheeling Page"
- "W h e e l i n g"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wheeling
- 5 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Wheeling?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wheeling
Photos in WheelingSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Krakow Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos
- Guilin Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Paducah Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos