"Blacksburg, Virginia - The Home of Virginia Tech" Top 5 Page for this destination Blacksburg by mikelisaanna
Blacksburg Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 88 photos
Blacksburg is a college town located in southwestern Virginia, about 30-40 miles west of Roanoke. Blacksburg is the home of Virginia Tech, Virginia's largest university, with approximately 25,000 students. Virginia Tech is the land grant university of Virginia, and is nationally ranked in Engineering, Architecture and Agriculture. It also has a rapidly improving Business school (now ranked in the top 50 among US undergrad business programs). Away from academics, Virginia Tech also has some excellent sports teams, particularly in football. Over 65,000 spectators typically attend the football team's home games, temporarily doubling the population of Blacksburg.
If you like the outdoors, then Blacksburg is a great place to live or visit. It sits in a valley in the Blue Ridge mountains, at an altitude of about 2000 feet. The town is is adjacent the the Thomas Jefferson National Forest., which offers plenty of opportunities to go hiking and exploring. One of our favorite places in the National Forest is Pandapas Pond, which we describe in our tips section. Blacksburg is also near the New River, on which the students and locals often go tubing and rafting.
Unfortunately, Blacksburg was recently the site of the worst shooting incident in recent US history, when a deranged Virginia Tech student killed 32 students and professors before taking his own life. This would have been a terrible tragedy in any town or city, but what made it even more shocking was that it took place in a peaceful town such as Blacksburg. Please don't let this horrible incident scare you off from visiting Blacksburg and Virginia Tech.
- Pros:Friendly college town. Easy access to outdoor activities.
- Cons:Distance from major cities
- In a nutshell:Nice college town surrounded by beautiful scenery.
The Duckpond is a pretty pond on the Virginia Tech campus that is a nice place to walk around. It is a few hundred yards... more travel advice
Maroon and orange are the official colors of Virginia Tech. As far as we know, Virginia Tech is the only college team in... more travel advice
- See All Cajun food in Blacksburg
- See All Virginia Tech Basketball
- See All Flying to Blacksburg
- Book hotels in advance for football...
mikelisaanna's Related Pages
Blacksburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Blacksburg, Virginia - The Home of Virginia Tech"
- "Blacksburg, Virginia"
- "Home of Virginia Tech"
- "parrotheadva's new Blacksburg Page"
- "Blacksburg, VA -- Virginia Tech"
- "gpbard's new Blacksburg Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Blacksburg
- Hotels in Blacksburg
- Transportation in Blacksburg
- Nightlife in Blacksburg
- Restaurants in Blacksburg
- Shopping in Blacksburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Blacksburg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Blacksburg
- 25 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Blacksburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Blacksburg
- Posted in Travel Slovenia Forum "Re: Ideas for the last day of our..."
- Wrote a Review Cajun food in Blacksburg in Blacksburg Restaurants
- updated a Blacksburg Travel Page "Blacksburg, Virginia - The Home of Virginia Tech"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Virginia Tech Duckpond"
- Commented on one of HotSpotJ's Blacksburg travel pages
Photos in BlacksburgSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Krakow Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos
- Guilin Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Paducah Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (35)
Latest Blacksburg hotel reviews
- Amerisuites Blacksburg University
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- The Inn At Virginia Tech And Skelton Conference Ctr
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Holiday Inn Blacksburg
- 216 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013