"Nantucket" Top 5 Page for this destination Nantucket by mikelisaanna
Nantucket Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 46 photos
Nantucket is an island located about 20 miles off the Massachusetts coast. Its main town is Nantucket, a historic town which was originally one of the primary ports for the United States' whaling ships in the 1800s. The town's whaling days ended in the mid-1800's when its port was rendered useless to whaling ships by the formation of a large sandbar. However, the town found a second life as a tourist haven, hosting generations of summer visitors from all over the northeastern United States.
Nantucket island is about 15 miles long and 5 miles wide. The town of Nantucket is located on in the middle of the northern coast and is by far the island's largest community. Other towns on the island include Siasconset (also known as Sconset) on the eastern end of the island, and Madaket on the western end of the island.
The island has plenty of beaches. For small children, Jetties beach on the northern coast, next to the town of Nantucket, is very popular. For older kids, Surfside beach, on the southern coast, is popular.
The town of Natucket is full of historic buildings and houses from the 1800s. There are plenty of things to see and do in town if you get tired of sitting on the beaches. There is a whaling museum, a number of old houses that you can tour, plenty of good restaurants, not to mention lots of shops and art galleries. Or, you can head down to the waterfront and look at the yachts that are moored there.
- Pros:Historic town, plenty of beaches, comfortable weather
- Cons:Crowds in town, expensive prices
- In a nutshell:A great island with plenty of beaches and a historic town
Nantucket Bookworks is a small independent bookstore in downtown Nantucket that we always enjoy visiting. It has... more travel advice
Madaket is the small town at the western end of Nantucket Island. It is a very quiet town, with almost no commercial... more travel advice
mikelisaanna's Related Pages
Nantucket Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "For those with a ton of money"
- "SueRivet's new Nantucket Page"
- "Best Island in the World"
- "Nantucket - expensive!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nantucket
- Hotels in Nantucket
- Transportation in Nantucket
- Restaurants in Nantucket
- Shopping in Nantucket
- Warnings and Dangers in Nantucket
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nantucket
- 12 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Nantucket?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nantucket
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Krakow Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos
- Guilin Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Paducah Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos