"Bodie - the largest ghost town in the Western U.S." Bodie by mikelisaanna
Bodie Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 106 photos
Bodie is the largest ghost town in the United States, with over 100 buildings still standing. It is a California State Park, and the buildings are maintained in a state of "arrested decay" by the state park service. In addition, a handful of rangers live in the town to keep out vandals. Bodie is about a 1 hour drive from the Tioga Pass entrance to Yosemite National Park. It is in the high desert near the Nevada border at an elevation of over 9000 feet.
Bodie was a gold mining boom town that was founded in the 1860s. Its peak population was about 10,000 people before the gold began to run out. By the 1900's most of the inhabitants had moved out. The town was inhabited up until the 1940s, so you will see electrical items in many of the buildings. Most of the buildings burned in a fire in the 1930s, leaving the 100+ buildings that are still there today.
The most fascinating thing about Bodie is that many of the buildings still have a lot of their furniture, appliances and other items still inside of them. In many buildings, it looks like the owners just left without taking much with them. The stores still have goods on the shelf and the saloons still have bottles on the shelves.
- Pros:Biggest ghost town in the U.S., fascinating history
- Cons:Remote location, cold weather (due to high altitude)
- In a nutshell:An amazing piece of preserved Western U.S. history
mikelisaanna's Related Pages
Bodie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "B O D I E"
- "Bodie State Historic Park"
- "Bodie - the largest ghost town in the Western U.S."
- "A real ghost town!"
- "Visiting a Ghost town : Bodie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bodie
- Transportation in Bodie
- Restaurants in Bodie
- Warnings and Dangers in Bodie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bodie
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Bodie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bodie
- Posted in Travel Istanbul Forum "Re: Topkapi Harem tickets"
- Wrote a Review Be prepared for the weather in Bodie Warnings and Dangers
- updated a Bodie Travel Page "Bodie - the largest ghost town in the Western U.S."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bodie - the largest ghost town in the Western U.S."
- Commented on one of travelgirl3's Bodie travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Krakow Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos
- Guilin Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Paducah Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos