"Skagway - Boomtown of the Klondike Gold Rush" Skagway by mikelisaanna
Skagway Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 459 photos
Skagway is small town of less than 1000 people in the northern section of Alaska's panhandle. However, at its peak in the late 1890's, it had thousands of inhabitants, as it boomed during the Klondike Gold Rush. Skagway was one of the two primary port towns (Dyea, now a ghost town, was the other) from which hopeful miners began their overland trek to the Yukon gold fields. At that time, Skagway had dozens of bars and bordellos, and made a fortune by entertaining, equipping, and sometimes defrauding the would-be miners.
Now, Skagway is a relaxing stop for tourists who arrive on cruise ships sailing the Alaska Inside Passage route. The town's buildings have been well-preserved, with some of them incorporated into the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park, which was established to preserved the history and buildings of the gold rush days and includes a small, but interesting museum.
Skagway is also an excellent point through which to access the Yukon, since it is less than 40 miles from the Canadian border. You can drive or take a bus from Skagway to the Yukon in less than 2 hours.
The Canadian border is only about 30 miles away by road from Skagway via the Klondike Highway. The road is hilly and... more travel advice
The Moore Cabin is the original home of the Moore family, the first non-native family that settled in the valley. The... more travel advice
mikelisaanna's Related Pages
Skagway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skagway, Alaska"
- "Independent Traveler's Guide to Skagway"
- "Half the Year Here................"
- "SKAGWAY, GOLD RUSH COUNTRY"
- "Skagway - Boomtown of the Klondike Gold Rush"
- "Skagway....what an entrance to Alaska!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skagway
- Hotels in Skagway
- Transportation in Skagway
- Nightlife in Skagway
- Restaurants in Skagway
- Shopping in Skagway
- Warnings and Dangers in Skagway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Skagway
- 8 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Skagway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skagway
Photos in SkagwaySee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Krakow Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos
- Guilin Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Paducah Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos