"Glacier Bay National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve by mikelisaanna
Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Travel Guide: 147 reviews and 267 photos
Glacier Bay National Park is one of the most scenic national parks in the USA. Located on the southeastern coast of Alaska, it is inaccessible by road. In order to visit the park, you have to come by either boat or plane. The bay was first discovered by the explorer George Vancouver in 1794, at which time it was almost completely covered in ice. Almost a century later, the bay was visited by famous naturalist John Muir, who discovered that the glaciers had retreated dramatically in the intervening years, with one of the largest ones, the Grand Pacific glacier, having retreated about 65 miles. Glacier Bay became a National Monument in 1925 and was upgraded to a National Park in 1980. It is also a World Biosphere Reserve and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
We visited Glacier Bay as part of a cruise (they allow a limited number of cruise ships into the bay each day). Our boat sailed up the bay, stopping about a quarter mile away from the Margerie glacier, and then about a mile away from the massive Grand Pacific glacier at the end of the fjord. Later, we sailed over to another arm of the bay, where we saw the Johns Hopkins glacier.
When we entered the bay, park rangers boarded our boat and gave us an excellent talk about the park and its glaciers and wildlife. They also provided us with information and commentary as we passed by each of the major glaciers. In addition, the rangers did a separate nature talk for the childern on the ship.
There are nor roads into Glacier Bay National Park from the rest of Alaska. To get there, you must fly, or arrive by... more travel advice
The Grand Pacific Glacier is one of the biggest glaciers in Glacier Bay National Park. At its mouth, it is about two... more travel advice
mikelisaanna's Related Pages
Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Smoke on the Water"
- "GLACIER BAY FROM A KAYAK"
- "The Right Choice: Glacier Bay"
- "Ice and Eagles"
- "Glacier Bay National Park"
- "Ice is nice:)"
- "Glacier Bay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve
- Hotels in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve
- Transportation in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve
- Restaurants in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve
- Posted in Travel Moab Forum "Re: Must do's in Moab"
- Commented on one of cfuentesm's Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve travel pages
- updated a Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Travel Page "Glacier Bay National Park"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Margerie Glacier"
- Wrote a Review You can't drive to Glacier Bay National Park in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Transportation
Photos in Glacier Bay National Park and PreserveSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Krakow Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos
- Guilin Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Paducah Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos