"Czestochowa - The Heart of Polish Catholicism" Top 5 Page for this destination Czestochowa by mikelisaanna
Czestochowa Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 279 photos
Czestochowa (pronounced Chen-sta-hove-a) is a city in Southern Poland that is famous for being the home of the Black Madonna, perhaps the most important religious painting outside of Italy. The Black Madonna, an icon that dates back to at least the 1400s, is a painting of the Virgin Mary that is housed in a small chapel in the Jasna Gora monastery in Czestochowa. Numerous miracles have been attributed to the Black Madonna throughout the centuries.
If you want to understand how religious Polish Catholics are, a visit to Czestochowa is one of the best ways to experience it. The monastery is mobbed with visitors almost every day of the year, especially August 15th, the Feast of the Assumption of Mary.
The Black Madonna herself is housed in a chapel in which mass is constantly being celebrated during the day. If you do not want to sit through mass in Polish, you can get a view of the painting between masses, but you will have to fight your way through the crowd to do so. Aside from the Black Madonna, the Monastery also features a beautiful main chapel, large defensive fortifications, and large Stations of the Cross around the outside of its walls.
- Pros:Beautiful chapels, the Black Madonna, inspiring religious atmosphere
- Cons:Crowded almost every day
- In a nutshell:One of the top sights to see in Poland
Pope John Paul II celebrated mass at Czestochowa during his visits to Poland. As the most famous Catholic in the history... more travel advice
The Basilica of the Holy Cross and Nativity of Mary is the largest church in the Jasna Gora Monastery. It features a... more travel advice
mikelisaanna's Related Pages
Czestochowa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Czestochowa ~ Jasna Gora Sanctuary"
- "Czestochowa and its vicinity"
- "Czestochowa - The Heart of Polish Catholicism"
- "Czestochowa - Home of the black madonna"
- "Vibraciones Especiales / Spetial Vibrations"
- "Częstochowa, my home city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Czestochowa
- Hotels in Czestochowa
- Transportation in Czestochowa
- Nightlife in Czestochowa
- Restaurants in Czestochowa
- Warnings and Dangers in Czestochowa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Czestochowa
- 8 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Czestochowa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Czestochowa
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Best Aerial Trams?"
- Commented on one of gosiaPL's Czestochowa travel pages
- Wrote a Review Pilgrimage to Czestochowa in Czestochowa Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "The John Paul II statue"
- updated a Czestochowa Travel Page "Czestochowa - The Heart of Polish Catholicism"
Photos in CzestochowaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Krakow Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos
- Guilin Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Paducah Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos