"Krakow - Poland's Gem" Krakow by mikelisaanna

Krakow Travel Guide: 4,448 reviews and 10,469 photos

Krakow is the one large city in Poland that did not get heavily damaged in World War II. Thank God it was spared, because it is a fascinating city full of history, culture, and beautiful old architecture. The old part of the city is unscarred by scyscrapers or ugly Stalinist buildings, and is full of beautiful churches and ornate baroque buildings. At its heart is the Rynek, a large square full of outdoor cafes. Overlooking the old town is the Wawel hill, featuring the city's castle and cathedral.

Krakow is a very pedestrian-friendly, and many streets in the old town are off limits to cars. Most of the main tourist sights in Krakow are within a 20 minute walk of each other, and and they aren't nearly as crowded as the sights in Prague, the city that Krakow most closely reminded us of. Perhaps most important, Krakow is full of friendly people. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Krakow and look forward to returning some day.

• Pros:Scenic city center with well preserved old buildings. Fewer tourists than Prague or Vienna.
  • Cons:No obvious ones. Krakow's pros far outweigh its cons.
  • In a nutshell:A beautiful, well-preserved city with friendly people and plenty to see
  • Last visit to Krakow: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 23, 2005

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2012 at 2:15 PM

What a wonderful page with so many helpful tips! I would love to come here one day to see all the sights you did, especially the salt mines, they look fabulous! Might have to be a dream for a while.

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2011 at 7:37 AM

Good and interesting tips , they will help me to prepare our next travel to Poland Gracias !!!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Great tips!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Absolutely fabulous page! The churches and museums are wonderful! Krakow's has so much to offer.

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Nice page with great photos! I so wish I was going to the VT Euromeet in Krakow this year! Your page shows me just how many wonderful sights I'm missing!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Good page. I hope to visit Krakow next month. Ciao!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Wonderful Krakow page Mike. If it's anything like Prague, I know we will love it when we go in May for the VT Meet there. Such beautiful churches and Cathedrals. Looking forward to seeing the Salt Mines - looks really interesting.

• flyingscot4's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Beautiful as well as very informative reviews of this wonderful city. I hope to get there again in 2010. One visit is not nearly enough.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2009 at 2:53 AM

Thanks alot for very good Krakow Page.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2008 at 5:16 PM

We really enjoyed our trip in June . Your pages were a help to us!!

mikelisaanna

“A Traveling Family from New Jersey”

Badges & Stats in Krakow