"Dubrovnik" Dubrovnik by mikelisaanna
Dubrovnik Travel Guide: 1,865 reviews and 4,979 photos
Dubrovnik is one of the most well-preserved fortified cities in the world. It is located on the Adriatic seacoast of southern Croatia, jutting out into the water on a small peninsula backed by mountains. In fact, it is so well fortified that it was able to resist invasion and survive as an independent city-state (known as Ragusa) until the early 1800s.
Although Dubrovinik gets very crowded with tourists, it is still a magnificent sight to see - it is like walking through an open-air museum. There are a number of interesting buildings to tour in Dubrovnik. A few notable ones included the Cathedral, St. Blaise's church, the Dominican and Franciscan monasteries, the Sponza Palace and the Rector's Palace. Dubrovnik is also full of cafes and restaurants to relax in after a few hours of sightseeing.
One thing that everyone must do in Dubrovnik is take a walk along the tops of the city's walls. This walk provides some of the best views in town and gives you a good feel for the city's layout.
- Pros:Well-preserved architecture, spectacular setting
- Cons:crowds of tourists
- In a nutshell:One of the must-see sights in Southern Europe
The Ploce Gate is one of the two primary entrances (the Pile Gate is the other) through the walls into the old historic... more travel advice
The Sponza Palace formerly served as the mint and the customs house of the Ragusa city/state. It is built around a... more travel advice
mikelisaanna's Related Pages
Dubrovnik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DUBROVNIK , the Pearl of Croatia"
- "Dubrovnik and the beauty inside"
- "Dubrovnik - Ragusa"
- "Divine Dubrovnik"
- "Unavoidable Dubrovnik"
- "A Lovely Village Inside a Wall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubrovnik
- Hotels in Dubrovnik
- Transportation in Dubrovnik
- Nightlife in Dubrovnik
- Restaurants in Dubrovnik
- Shopping in Dubrovnik
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubrovnik
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dubrovnik
- 10 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Dubrovnik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubrovnik
Photos in DubrovnikSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Krakow Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos
- Guilin Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Paducah Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos