"Montenegro" Republic of Montenegro by mikelisaanna

Republic of Montenegro Travel Guide: 2,488 reviews and 5,984 photos

Our trip to Montenegro was the first major vacation that we booked primarily based on tips from virtualtourist.com. When we told our friends here in the USA that we were going to Montenegro they looked at us as if we had suddenly sprouted three heads. Either they did not know where it was or they though that it still had a war in progress. Little did they know that it is a beautiful country with rugged mountains, friendly people, beaches and plenty of historic towns to tour. We were pleasantly surprised how many younger Montenegrins spoke English and how willing they were to help us when we got lost or couldn't read things written in Serbian. After a week in Montenegro, we were not happy to have to get on the airplane to head back.

• Pros:Rugged mountains and coastlines, friendly people, historic towns. Inexpensive.
  • Cons:Dated infrastructure, few direct flights
  • In a nutshell:An underrated vacation destination with a lot to offer
  • Last visit to Republic of Montenegro: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2006

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2011 at 5:14 AM

going to Montenegro in summer, great tips and wonderful info about travelling around by car. We are travelleing from Craotia in a Croatian hire car, wonder if there are any issues that way?

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I think it's great that you ventured somewhere that few Americans visit. The scenery is amazing -- and the Sveti Stefan looks like a magnificent hotel. I'll have to read more about your adventure in the Balkans!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM

What beautiful countryside, lakes, and old historic cities. That hotel is fantastic! Thanks for sharing your travels.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Beautiful pictures of Perast . I reminds me of Bled. Wonderful pages.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2008 at 2:02 AM

Oh, dear, yes, I am familiar with these roads, quite nerve-wrecking. I last visited Montenegro in July 2005, only a month after you guys were there :D Regína

• Jul 2, 2008 at 11:52 AM

this was our best beach loved it would have had a great holiday,but our second week they put security guards around it and u wernt allowed on it unless u paid 30 euros,as we dont like crowded beaches, this totaly spoiled our holiday

• Zvrlj's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2007 at 2:01 AM

Very good page. It seems like you enjoyed Montenegro :-) Greetings from Kragujevac, Serbia I&V

• lenoreva's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2007 at 7:46 AM

sounds delightful - it's now on my list!

• Rusket's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2007 at 8:51 AM

My favourite country in Europe! (It does help that I speak the language ;-)

• Nykaenen's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2006 at 11:35 AM

I'm looking forward to read the rest of your Montenegro pages.

mikelisaanna

“A Traveling Family from New Jersey”

Badges & Stats in Republic of Montenegro

Have you been to Republic of Montenegro?

Latest Activity in Republic of Montenegro