"Fatima - Portugal's Holiest Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Fátima by mikelisaanna
Fátima Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 207 photos
Fatima is sacred ground to Catholics. In 1917, three local children (Lucia, Jacinta, and Francisco) had visions of the Virgin Mary. These occurred monthly (on the 13th of each month) and lasted for six months(May through October). For the last vision (October 13, 1917), they were joined by a huge crowd of about 70,000 prople, who collectively saw the sun change colors and dance around the sky. On that day, Lucia also received from Mary the three secrets of Fatima (regarding Russian Communism, World War II, and the aassassination attempt on a pope)
The site of the visions is now home to a large shrine complex, which features a large basilica (where the children are buried) and a smaller chapel. They are visited by thousands of pilgrims from dozens of countries. On the day that were there, there was a group of nuns visiting from India.
This is a shop full of religious souvenirs which run the gamut from respectful to tacky. However, if you have any... more travel advice
The Chapel of Reconciliation (Capela da Reconciliacao) is where Catholic visitors to Fatima can confess their sins to... more travel advice
mikelisaanna's Related Pages
Fátima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "...not a pilgrimage..."
- "Religous? Make your own mind up!"
- "Fatima - Faith and Business"
- "Fatima - Portugal's Holiest Town"
- "Sinners & Saints"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fátima
- Hotels in Fátima
- Transportation in Fátima
- Nightlife in Fátima
- Restaurants in Fátima
- Shopping in Fátima
- Warnings and Dangers in Fátima
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fátima
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Fátima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fátima
Photos in FátimaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Krakow Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos
- Guilin Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Paducah Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos