"Oudtshoorn - The Ostrich Capital of the World" Top 5 Page for this destination Oudtshoorn by mikelisaanna
Oudtshoorn Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 238 photos
Oudtshoorn was one of our favorite parts of our recent trip to South Africa. We were originally planning to just do a quick pass through, but ended up spending three nights there.
Oudtshoorn is a town in the Little Karoo, a high desert valley surrounded by mountains about an hour inland from South Africa's southerrn coast. In the late 1800s, while other part sof South Africa were focused on gold and diamonds, Oudtshoorn built its fortunes on ostriches. At the time, ostrich feathers were highly valued for hats and other fashion items, and the local farmers turned Oudtshoorn into the world's largest producer of ostrich feathers. Since then, the market for ostrich products has had its ups and downs, but Oudtshoorn has perservered and still boasts dozens of ostrich ranches in the surrounding countryside.
A number fo the ostrich farms give tours for tourists. Other activities for tourists in and around Oudtshoorn include a good local zoo and cheetah rehabilitation center, the CP Nel Museum (a very good little museum that focuses on the town's history), and the Kango Caves, which are on of the most beautiful cave systems in the country.
- Pros:Ostriches, caves, interesting scenery
- Cons:Not much nightlife
- In a nutshell:An interesting place to spend a few days
While they are much safer to be around than lions and hippos, you still have to be careful when you are around... more travel advice
The Cango Wildlife Ranch is a privately-owned zoo outside of Oudtshoorn that specializes in big cats, especially... more travel advice
mikelisaanna's Related Pages
Oudtshoorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oudtshoorn - the ostrich capital"
- "Oudtshoorn - The Ostrich Capital"
- "Oudtshoorn - The Ostrich Capital of the World"
- "Oudtshoorn is more then ostriches."
- "The Cango Caves"
- "Ostriches, camels and caves!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oudtshoorn
- Hotels in Oudtshoorn
- Transportation in Oudtshoorn
- Nightlife in Oudtshoorn
- Restaurants in Oudtshoorn
- Shopping in Oudtshoorn
- Warnings and Dangers in Oudtshoorn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oudtshoorn
- 8 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Oudtshoorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oudtshoorn
Photos in OudtshoornSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Krakow Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos
- Guilin Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Paducah Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos