"Reunion Island - France's Paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion by mikelisaanna
Reunion Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 286 photos
Reunion Island is a volcanic island located a few hundred kilometers east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. It is one of the most spectacular places on earth, with an active volcano on its southern end, and three dramatic 1000-meter deep circular canyons (called cirques) in its middle. The three cirques (the Cirque de Mafate, Cirque de Salazie, and Cirque de Cilaos) have been eroded over the millenia into amazing landscapes with sharp ridges and winding canyons unlike anything else that we have ever seen.
While its interior is extremely rugged, the outer edge of Reunion is full of small towns and beaches. As a result, it combines the best of both worlds. It has great scenery for driving and hiking, while also having good beaches to relax on at the end of the day.
We stayed in St. Gilles-les-Bains, a beach resort town on the western coast. It was a great location, because it was convenient to some of the most scenic drives on the island, including the roads to Le Maido and Cilaos. The area also had some good restaurants, which served a mixture of French and creole cooking.
Reunion's people were friendly. They are a mixture of French, African, and Indian, which makes for some interesting food and culture. The official language of the island is French, although the locals also speak a patois that we could not understand.
Reunion is officially a part of France, similar to the way Hawaii is part of the US, even though it is thousands of miles away in an ocean. Over 95% of the tourists to Reunion are French, with most of the rest being from French speaking countries such as Belgium. In the entire week that we were there, we only met one other family that were not native French speakers (they were from Spain). Our high school and university French got quite a workout, as many people on Reunion do not speak any English.
We had a great time visiting Reunion and definitely want to go back and see more of it.
- Pros:Amazing scenery, plenty of beaches, good food
- Cons:You need to be able to speak French
- In a nutshell:One of the most spectacular places in the world
La Bobine is an outdoor restaurant on the beach at Hermitage-les-Bains. It has a beautiful setting among the palm trees... more travel advice
The Novotel is located across the street from the beach betwen Saint-Gilles-les-Bains and Hermitage-les-Bains on the... more travel advice
- Packing for Reunion
- See All Clouds get in the way-get up early for...
- See All Plaine des Sables
mikelisaanna's Related Pages
Reunion Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the Middle of the Indian Ocean"
- "France's Beautiful Little Secret"
- "Reunion Island - France's Paradise"
- "Famous Isle Bourbon"
- "ILE INTENSE is Reunion Island"
- "L'ile de la Reunion, L'ile Bourbon, MY HOME =)"
- "La Dodo lé la!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reunion
- Hotels in Reunion
- Transportation in Reunion
- Nightlife in Reunion
- Restaurants in Reunion
- Shopping in Reunion
- Warnings and Dangers in Reunion
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Reunion
- 20 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Reunion?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reunion
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos
- Krakow Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Pittsburgh Intro, 22 reviews, 36 photos
- Guilin Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Paducah Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos