"Walking away from the crowd" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de la Gomera by DWARF-2
Isla de la Gomera Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 398 photos
This island is still relatively remote, although the airport has been massively upgraded - the terminal building is way out of keeping with the nature of the island. There are currently two flights (from Gran Canaria and Tenerife) in and out daily. The main links are by ferry from Los Cristianos on Tenerife. The catamarans are fast, taking about 45 minutes. The smaller one, run by Garajonay, also serves, conditions permitting, Playa Santiago and Valle Gran Rey.
Accommodation is mainly in small hotels, guest houses and self-catering apartments, although there are one or two larger complexes. There are still those sleeping rough. Further construction is taking place just west of Playa Santiago. There didn't seem to be much elsewhere.
For many Europeans the conditions in "Winter" are suitable for sunbathing and swimming. Indeed it can be too hot for some and the sun is strong even at this time of year.
The beaches are typically stony - relatively large stones - with small stretches of black sand, as in this picture, though it is difficult to make out. To the east - away to the right of the view shown - towards Vueltas there is a small well-protected sandy beach suitable for small children and an Italian-style ice-cream parlour.
Formerly a fishing village, but no longer with any significant commercial activity. The ferry between San Sebastian and Valle Gran Rey calls. A few smaller craft, including a dive boat, moor in the harbour, where fairly large vessels can be lifted onto dry stands.
Stony beach with a little of the island's typical black sand at the harbour end. The beaches are usually stonier in winter and sandier in summer.
There are holiday property developments on both headlands - best known Hotel "Jardin Tecina" to the east.
- Pros:Quiet - rugged - sub-tropical
- Cons:Quiet - rugged - sub-tropical
- In a nutshell:Still a place to go to get away.
Walking the wilder parts. My memories of La Gomera are a conglomerate of fine views, walking through splendid scenery,... more travel advice
Tasty snacks and home-made cake during the day, also restaurant. Enjoy the view across the valley. Some go for "Kaffee... more travel advice
DWARF-2's Related Pages
Isla de la Gomera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La Gomera"
- "La Gomera"
- " Island of Peaks & Valleys"
- "Walking away from the crowd"
- "Another Day in Another World"
- "Hiking on La Gomera"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de la Gomera
- Hotels in Isla de la Gomera
- Transportation in Isla de la Gomera
- Nightlife in Isla de la Gomera
- Restaurants in Isla de la Gomera
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de la Gomera
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de la Gomera
- 9 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Isla de la Gomera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de la Gomera
- updated a Isla de la Gomera Travel Page "Walking away from the crowd"
- Commented on one of zweiblumen's Isla de la Gomera travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walking away from the crowd"
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "RE: RE: Moved to Australia - Some..."
- Wrote a Review Useful walking guide in Isla de la Gomera Favorites
Photos in Isla de la GomeraSee All Photos (22)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de la Gomera Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gracias Intro, 2 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 1 review, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belize Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Carnoustie Intro, 5 photos, 1 travelogue