"My day on the Hallstattersee" Hallstatt by argentia
Hallstatt Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 684 photos
Hallstatt is a charming little village located in the Salzkammergut, southeast of Salzburg. It's most famous for the Salzwelten, the real working salt mines. The mines were first worked about 4500 years ago. The presence of the mines made the people of Hallstatt and the surrounding area very wealthy since salt was a very profitable trade.
My travelling companion and I had the pleasure of visiting the village and the mines on a day trip from Salzburg. I'd read so much about how Hallstatt was a gorgeous place to visit and saw so many beautiful pictures here on VT and on other internet sites. But...
But it rained!
And rained some more.
The unexpected bonus was that we got some incredible pictures of the clouds really low on the mountains. Up at Miner's Refuge, everything looked almost magical, what with the mist settling in the forest and some buildings being camouflaged in the clouds.
Many visitors to Hallstatt come to go to the salt mines. Once you climb up to the visitor's station (called Miner's... more travel advice
argentia's Related Pages
Hallstatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hallstatt . . . my inspiration"
- "Heavenly Hallstatt......."
- "Hallstatt...it’s paradise!"
- "Beautiful Hallstatt"
- "Hallstatt a great place to spend your time!"
- "Historical, magical, beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hallstatt
- Hotels in Hallstatt
- Transportation in Hallstatt
- Nightlife in Hallstatt
- Restaurants in Hallstatt
- Shopping in Hallstatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Hallstatt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hallstatt
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Hallstatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hallstatt
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Toronto Intro, 14 reviews, 2 photos
- Prague Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Brussels 5 reviews, 10 photos
- Milan Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Hallstatt Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lugano Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balatonfured Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Werfen Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- London 5 reviews, 5 photos