"My day on the Hallstattersee" Hallstatt by argentia

Hallstatt Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 684 photos

Beautiful but...

Hallstatt is a charming little village located in the Salzkammergut, southeast of Salzburg. It's most famous for the Salzwelten, the real working salt mines. The mines were first worked about 4500 years ago. The presence of the mines made the people of Hallstatt and the surrounding area very wealthy since salt was a very profitable trade.

My travelling companion and I had the pleasure of visiting the village and the mines on a day trip from Salzburg. I'd read so much about how Hallstatt was a gorgeous place to visit and saw so many beautiful pictures here on VT and on other internet sites. But...

I couldn't see much in the rain!

But it rained!
And rained.
And rained some more.
The unexpected bonus was that we got some incredible pictures of the clouds really low on the mountains. Up at Miner's Refuge, everything looked almost magical, what with the mist settling in the forest and some buildings being camouflaged in the clouds.

• Last visit to Hallstatt: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2005

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2006 at 3:08 PM

Now I know how it looks like in the rain, thanks for your comment on my sunny photos, we later got 10 days of heavy rain in Italy. Congratulations on your pages

• topoftheworl's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2005 at 10:42 AM

'almost magical' is a very apt description. Great pics.

• Gentleman75's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2005 at 1:33 AM

Hallstatt is the most beautiful and loveliest place I've ever seen. What a pity, it rained and rained during Your stay there! Greetings from Hungary! Andras

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2005 at 10:57 AM

I like germanic villages on a lake

argentia

“Necessities of life: Oxygen, Water, Travel. And not necessarily in that order.”

Badges & Stats in Hallstatt

Have you been to Hallstatt?

Latest Activity in Hallstatt