"MY ORIGINAL" I-lan by yatingchen

I-lan Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 48 photos

Yuan-Shan Countryside

Mountains around, lake is near, fresh air, mineral water for free....It's my original, Dad's hometown.

Dad was born und grew up there, Yuan-Shan, I-Lan (East-Taiwan) After the military service he left the hometown and has worked and lived in Changhua over decades. (West-Taiwan) During the Chinese New Year when Grandpa was still alive, we always came back to visit him and the other relatives.

Everytime we come back. We see I-Lan is always beautiful and pure. What on mountains doesn't change a lot. Perhaps people build new houses, but the smell of solid is the same.

Lane towards Papa's born-place

The house behind me is warehouse. Papa's born-place is behind it and now a flat land.

In papa's generation Taiwanese live hard life. Papa's born-house was made of stone-board walls and straw roof. Everytime typhoons attacked, it's leak or blew away. They had to rebuild the house again and again.

Papa's big brother has taken the place. A simple living house, a ware house and a toilette are there. In the house you see water flows out. That's mountain mineral water, for free. At night you sleep well because of no vehicles, only insects and animals in mountains are around. You can see the starry sky clearly.

Palms and fruit garden

Big uncle lives in mountains sometimes, but the family of the 3rd uncle of dad always live there. (real Yuan-Shan inhabitant)

Papa's brother and uncle own a tangerine garden. They plant tangerine and small tangerine. I-Lan tangerines are smaller and in color of dunkel orange, but are very juicy and sweet. Small tangerines have sour taste inside, but the skin is sweet. I-Lan people make small tangerines dry like dry plum. Its rich vitamine C let the product popular.

Besides small tangerines, I-Lan famous local food also includes duck products and cow-tongue biscut (crispy and thin: made of flour, butter and some other favors)

• Pros:Beautiful land
  • In a nutshell:I-Lan is always on my mind
  • Last visit to I-lan: Apr 2006
  • Intro Written Apr 8, 2006

Comments

yatingchen

“appreciate and value”