"Oxford...an Odd Mix of Academia and Big Hair" Oxford by Small_World

Oxford Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 48 photos

Almost every year a friend I've known since I was three meet in Mississippi for a small-town tour of Mississippi. We always have the most amazing experiences...this year was no exception.

We don't really do anything touristy; we simply stroll around the towns and interact with the locals and soak in the atmosphere. And believe me, in Mississippi there's as much atmosphere as there is humidity.

This year we chose to visit Oxford, and I think it may be our new favorite town. Which is pretty hard for us to admit since we both grew up in Starkville, the home of MSU, the university that is the arch rival of Oxford's Ole Miss.

We were here the weekend that Ole Miss was playing Texas for the baseball championship series, so the place was unbelievably crowded. We could barely find a parking place downtown. Ok. So yeah. You may have noticed (I just noticed it myself) that in the picture above there's a parking place we must have missed. Right in front of the place we were wanting to go. It's attention to details like that that make me so good at my job as copy editor. grr.

Oxford is the home of William Faulkner, and its natives are proud of that and feel the importance of carrying on that literary tradition. So it doesn't surprise me that the most popular store in town is Square Books. But what did surprise me was the big-hair factor. Women there look as if they just stepped out of a salon (a Dallas salon, I mean), and many of them were wearing dresses and nice slacks, not like typical Americans in shorts and T-shirts.

• Pros:Friendly, beautiful, classy
  • Cons:I'm not there
  • In a nutshell:Arguably the best lil town in Mississippi
  • Last visit to Oxford: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 21, 2005

• tvdandy's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I am a photographer and that is very nice framing of the city grocery shot. I have been to Oxford, the only thing I did not like is that Saturday all the bars closed by midnight so everybody can get to church in the morning. Gotta love the bible belt!

• rdney99's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2007 at 6:41 AM

Was just there for the LSU- Ole Miss game, love the town, I think it's the nicest college town in the country, has a charm and southern elegance about it. Been to Square Books too- Tony from WI.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2006 at 2:55 AM

good little page and your way of bringing it to life is so great

• rwlittle's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2006 at 10:58 AM

That's a great love story! Small towns are great to visit, in all parts of the world...

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2006 at 3:07 PM

Nice love story - sounds like a magical place. Birthday greetings from Alaska. Where as my oldest daughter says - "The odds are good, but the goods are odd"

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2006 at 4:32 AM

small towns give america character. cities lose people happy birthday

• volarevolare's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2006 at 10:48 PM

Hi Susan! :) That's a sweet love story that makes me believe that there is still that magic... somewhere... and well, maybe, just maybe... someday... :)

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 1:44 AM

Hi Susan, Wonderful writing and Gr8 tips about Old South towns, and what a sweet love story! But, why do they call their restaurants grocerys? Doug

• aemilys's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2005 at 11:57 AM

Thanks for your visit and thanks for your lovely stories about Oxford. I think I'm going to put Mississippi on my wish list...Emily

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 9:42 AM

I like it. :) :x xx :))

Small_World

“There's no place like home . . . can't wait to find it.”

Badges & Stats in Oxford