"Nerja, Costa del Sol, Spain." Top 5 Page for this destination Nerja by Pauldelabar

Nerja Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 777 photos

Beautiful Nerja.

Nerja (Pronounced Nerka or Nerha - depending upon whether you are using Andalucian or Castillan ), is classified as a white villiage, but is actually a lot larger than the traditional villiage as we think of it.

Many people may not have heard of Nerja. It is 52 km East of Malaga, i.e. NOT the Torremolinos side of Malaga, the Airport used to get here. It is not a massive tourist magnet like Benidorm or similar holiday places. Nerja is smaller, more friendly but still has an overwhelming wealth of facilities to offer the holidaymaker and long term break seeker alike.
There are so many types of accomodation from 5* hotels to Hostals or apartments and villas for hire. Everyones ideas and tastes are different. What you will find in Nerja is a holiday away from the 'madding crowd'. You may arrive here as a tourist and leave as a friend and find yourself returning time and time again. English make up 20% of the population, however. So Nerja is not THAT off the beaten track.

Nearest large town(s)/city: Malaga.

Hyperlinks are provided on this page to aid going to sections easier.

Local Nerja (Spanish) time: UK + 1 Hour.
Currency: the Euro
Language: Spanish (Andalucian) but a lot of English is spoken.

What's the current weather like in Nerja, Malaga province?
For real time FREE info.
Weather (Link)

Try this. A useful little FREE language translation tool (Link)

I have provided a map section to help you get more of a 'feel' for Nerja and to actually understand where places are in relation to each other and the rest of the villiage / town. (Link): Nerja_maps
If you would rather look at the map(s) later, you can find them in my travelogues at the bottom of this page.

I have also created a travelogue entitled, (Link:) Where is Nerja and why should I go there? as another means to aid you in locating Nerja on the Costa del Sol, with a few extra photographs.

Next planned visit to Nerja:- As soon as the house is sold, then ONE WAY to Nerja!

Myself {L} and Carole {R}

Yours truly enjoying a drink with Carole {Co owner with her husband, Rod, of Cafe - Bar Andrea} in June 2005. More about this bar and many others can be found in my 'Nightlife' section.

There are around 900 places to drink in Nerja. See my Nightlife section. I have only included those bars etc. that I have personally been into and can therefore give first hand knowlege of.

You may also like to visit my Restaurants section which, again, I can give personal knowlege of, having eaten there.

Absolutely stacks of more information on Nerja can be had from this site - Nerja today (Link) and also at Nerjanow (Link)

Irish Music night:

Excellent entertainment by a visiting Irish singer and guitarist at Durty Nellys Irish bar in May 2005. As entertainment seems to be a 'spur of the moment' thing, it's a case of being there at the right time.

More about this and other bars in my Nightlife section.

Totalán.

Between Nerja and Malaga and just inland from the coast and tucked away in the mountains is a small villiage
called Totalán (Link),
which I have created a page about and you may like to take a look at.

---
You will not be able to give this ratings as it does not exist on VT as a location due probably to being so small and, thus, I have created the page as a travelogue attatched to my Malaga page. Enjoy the pictures as I did when creating this page.
---
8 photos anyway of a beautiful little villiage at the end of a mountain road with loads of cats, a fountain, waterfall and two pubs.
Why not take a look?

Transportation:
It's easy to get to, from and around Nerja by bus, taxi, landau or the 'Wally Trolley'. Why not go to my Transportation section.

Some other Nerja things that I recommend:
- that you don't miss on this Nerja site before you go are: (Click on the links)

The markets and aquaduct (on Off the beaten track)

Where to watch sport on TV (on Sports travel)

What to beware of (on Warnings and dangers)

Be careful with your purchases & driving in Spain (on Tourist traps)

Where to food & gifts (on Shopping)

Local radio stations and other things (on General tips)

Free mags, dress code & Siesta times (on Local customs)

Dates of Fiestas & Internet cafe (on Things to do)

Accomodation (on Hotels & Accomodations)

What to bring (on Packing lists)

Not looked at my bars list yet?
(on Nightlife) - 43 Bars and still writing !

A short note from Pauldelabar:
I hope in anticipation that you will enjoy or have enjoyed looking at these pictures and articles so much that it may entice you to visit Nerja on holiday. Knowing that it will not be 'rowdy' and also, I hope, feeling that you have already got an insight into the layout and facilities of, what I consider to be, the most wonderful place in Spain. Also thankyou for visiting my pages which I have tried to create truthfully, interestingly and with love.

Paul.

VT Members.
If you have a question about Nerja, you may always post it in the
Nerja forum. I'll find it.
Alternatively, leave me a message below.

Not a member ? Why not Join ? (Link) - It's FREE.

This is just my Nerja Introduction page.
Don't miss the tips below!

Return to the Top of this page (Link)

Back to my Homepage (Link)

• Pros:No Lager louts in Nerja.
  • Cons:Traffic is a bit chaotic at times.
  • In a nutshell:I think Nerja is the most beautiful place in Spain.
  • Last visit to Nerja: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2005

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Great page Paul! Your tips are very helpful especially the driving ones :o) Enjoyed the read. Cheers, Ann.

• Jan 30, 2010 at 6:36 AM

the anchor bar is like your favorite local in england. michael is a top man and makes you feel welcome. shame he supports arsenal

• Jun 29, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Pinoccios is one of the best restaurantes iv ever been to! The staff are all so friendly and the food is excellent, definitely worth a visit-and v resonably priced.

• May 6, 2009 at 10:02 AM

This is well known as an English only pub with a category of clientele who would prefer, as would most others, that were in Torremolinos

• Jan 5, 2009 at 11:59 AM

your comments are out of date. great bar/restaurant with homemade specials & favourites. not at all expensive. open every day

• Oct 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

great stuff just what i need to know thank you marion

• May 28, 2008 at 7:21 AM

We have been to Nerja for the last3 yrs with our 2 young children and love it....but, we would like a change. Any recommendations on places simlar to Nerja ? Fairly quiet but with a good restaraunt or 2 ? Thanks Simon

• Apr 26, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Probably one of the best Restaurants in Nerja. About 700 mtrs uphill from the Balcon. Extensive wine list but food wise bordering on expensive. With a pre dinnerdrink and wine expect tp pay 100 euros for 2

• Apr 3, 2008 at 7:49 AM

hey do you have any jobs from july please please get in touch xx

• Nov 11, 2007 at 2:07 PM

This is the heart of Nerja. A Must-Visit place.

Pauldelabar Lives Here!